Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1551438  by bostontrainguy

From Trains magazine:

Significantly, the company recently incorporated mention of private rooms along with safe-travel cleanliness efforts on Amtrak trains in weather and traffic advertising on five to eight radio stations in major Northeast Corridor markets plus Chicago. The list will be expanded to the West Coast in September. Also, short local TV spots with the same message have been placed in the Northeast, Chicago, Atlanta, San Diego, San Francisco, Oklahoma City, Portland, Ore., and Charleston, S.C.
 #1551448  by Gilbert B Norman

bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 am Cool but who the hell reads Time magazine anymore?
Mr. Trainguy, I was addressing The New York Times Magazine. The fault was mine in referring to a publication that I have read for the past seventy years by its shorthand name - The Times.

But the point we both have made stands. "Private Rooms available" could easily have demand while the crisis dominates our lives - and Amtrak has the available equipment to meet such.
 #1551461  by scratchyX1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:57 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 am Cool but who the hell reads Time magazine anymore?
Mr. Trainguy, I was addressing The New York Times Magazine. The fault was mine in referring to a publication that I have read for the past seventy years by its shorthand name - The Times.

But the point we both have made stands. "Private Rooms available" could easily have demand while the crisis dominates our lives - and Amtrak has the available equipment to meet such.
I can't help but think of that quote from zoolander.
https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5f43 ... bd763/text
 #1551533  by STrRedWolf

I was so going to ask where the Viewliner II's could go where the Bombardier Multilevels (MARC IV) couldn't (purposes of a new novel)... and saw that the Viewliner II's were 14' tall. The Multilevels are 14' 6".

FFS... I should of been following this thread more...
 #1551537  by bostontrainguy

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:01 am I was so going to ask where the Viewliner II's could go where the Bombardier Multilevels (MARC IV) couldn't (purposes of a new novel)... and saw that the Viewliner II's were 14' tall. The Multilevels are 14' 6".

FFS... I should of been following this thread more...
And the new Siemen's Venture cars (thought to be the front runner in the Amfleet replacement race) are exactly the same dimensions as the Viewliners. I still can't quite figure out if the side camber is similar but Amtrak may finally have close to a consistent beautifully matched profile on their single-level LD trains. Throw Phase III across the board and I think you would have a pretty good looking train.
 #1554666  by Gilbert B Norman

Reportedly, two Viewliner Sleepers were shipped from CAF, and a further report notes they will be in consist of 97(14). Cars are Santee River 62513 and Satilla River 62514.

I believe two cars, for whatever reason, were "runaround", so thirteen remain to be delivered. Same case with Bag-Dorms where two also remain. Fifteen cars to go; somehow I don't think Amtrak and CAF will be doing too much more together.

Must wonder who is in a bigger rush for delivery; Amtrak and this V-II order, or Southwest Airlines for their 737MAXes.

Oh well, find space at HIA for them to play Rip Van Winkle.
 #1554678  by gokeefe

Ok Mr. Norman I'll bite ...

I'm going to take "no later than" June 1st, 2021 in the betting pool for the date when these cars are all suddenly put into service by a Biden appointed CEO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1554693  by Gilbert B Norman

gokeefe wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 pmI'm going to take "no later than" June 1st, 2021 in the betting pool for the date when these cars are all suddenly put into service by a Biden appointed CEO
Mr. O'Keefe, I'm starting to "feel like a Wallenda" commenting further. However, should there be a change in Administrations next January. I don't think there will be a change in the storage status of any V-II by your projected date. Apparently, it is simply more economical to keep your "dates" (COTS, periodics) current on the active fleet rather than "spreading" them over more cars for whatever reason such as "passenger attractiveness".

Additionally, there would be costs associated with employee training, however slight, avoided simply by keeping these cars away from the active fleet.

Finally, and here is where I just might find the bottom of Grand Canyon or the Chicago River "next stop" (with equally predictable results), Messrs. Anderson and Flynn were hired by the Amtrak Board to execute the policies they set forth, one of which is to finally fifty years later get rid of what was simply to be a transitional "ease the pain" product. There are still former Administration appointees on the Board and no way will there be vacancies of present Administration appointees sufficient to alter the Board's policies should there be a new administration by your noted 131 day "timetable". There are much higher priorities for any such new Administration to address in their "first 100 days".
 #1554750  by gokeefe

Agreed in many respects ... However ... I think the White House would know how to make an immediate impact and depending on how things go on Capitol Hill you might see a rare alignment of the political stars. Make of that possibility what you will.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1554762  by CHTT1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:28 am
gokeefe wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 pmI'm going to take "no later than" June 1st, 2021 in the betting pool for the date when these cars are all suddenly put into service by a Biden appointed CEO
Mr. O'Keefe, I'm starting to "feel like a Wallenda" commenting further. However, should there be a change in Administrations next January. I don't think there will be a change in the storage status of any V-II by your projected date. Apparently, it is simply more economical to keep your "dates" (COTS, periodics) current on the active fleet rather than "spreading" them over more cars for whatever reason such as "passenger attractiveness".

Additionally, there would be costs associated with employee training, however slight, avoided simply by keeping these cars away from the active fleet.

Finally, and here is where I just might find the bottom of Grand Canyon or the Chicago River "next stop" (with equally predictable results), Messrs. Anderson and Flynn were hired by the Amtrak Board to execute the policies they set forth, one of which is to finally fifty years later get rid of what was simply to be a transitional "ease the pain" product. There are still former Administration appointees on the Board and no way will there be vacancies of present Administration appointees sufficient to alter the Board's policies should there be a new administration by your noted 131 day "timetable". There are much higher priorities for any such new Administration to address in their "first 100 days".
Instead of "packing" the Supreme Court, Biden could pack the Amtrak board.
 #1554769  by Gilbert B Norman

Yes, Mr. Chicago Heights Terminal Transfer Railway, with enacted legislation, a new Congress and Administration, could make such a change appointing additional "long distance consumer friendly" Amtrak Board Members that advocate resumption of Daily frequencies, restoration of abolished Station positions, on-board Food & Beverage to Boardman administration levels, restoration of LD routes lost starting with the "Carter Cuts", and whatever else is handy to "throw into the kitchen sink".

Again, should there be a new Administration at High Noon ET January 20, 2021, which will stand even if provisions within the 25th Amendment need be invoked, or should there be "trespassing at 1600 by a member of a former administration", there simply will be higher priorities during those first 100 days, assuming an administration formed under the 25th need last that long, than addressing "anything Amtrak".