Railroad Forums 

• Vienna: Plans for a new station

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#409615  by bellstbarn

Various Austrian websites in German have spoken today (11 June 2007) of plans for a new Central Station in Vienna. Apparently, connecting the present stations is part of the plan. I have read the explanation on Wikipedia, but cannot find an overall map of the scheme. Can anyone find a link with a map? Thanks.
 #410080  by george matthews

bellstbarn wrote:Various Austrian websites in German have spoken today (11 June 2007) of plans for a new Central Station in Vienna. Apparently, connecting the present stations is part of the plan. I have read the explanation on Wikipedia, but cannot find an overall map of the scheme. Can anyone find a link with a map? Thanks.
What are the present stations?About 10 years ago on an Interrail trip I came in from Budapest to the same station the Wienerwalzer departed from. Is it trains to Bratislava that use a different station?

#412117  by railfilm

There are several big stations in Vienna. The two main ones are the Westbahnhof and the Suedbahnhof.
The both stations are connected by rail but it is a very long jurney however both station are located probably 3-4 km apart.
Now they built a new tunnel (Lienzer Tunnel) connecting the Westbahn (not the station) to the station called Meidling. This enables to cut the travel times from western direction to Suedbahnhof which serves almost all trains towards south, north and east from Vienna. The service toward west is still the domain of the Westbahnhof.

The new Hauptbahnhof will be between the station Meidling and Suedbahnhof (the later will be demolished).

You can find the very detailed map on www.wien.at