Railroad Forums 

• VIDEO: Train vs Tornado

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#692880  by drumz0rz

That's crazy. The part I find most interesting though is the strength of that tanker that slams into the engine. It doesn't appear to get crushed as I would have expected with the pressure of the rest of the train pushing it forward. Seems like a very well made car, shape it was scrapped with the rest of them.
 #692889  by SaintSpellCheck

I know it is not the LIRR.
It is a railroad video I am trying to share with others.
It is unique, and unlike anything I have seen before.
I am a retired LIRR employee.
I realize some people connected with the LIRR only read this forum.
With all due respect, I think you are killing this forum by closing, deleating, and moving some threads.
The LIRR employee who got beaten for example.
That is a story of Great interest to LIRR employees, past and present.
I would not have known about it unless I read it here.
Please consider what I am respectfully saying, I think you are a bit heavy handed here.
Many proffesional Railroaders used to post in here, but their attitude is why bother, their opinion is not respected, and it will either be deleated or questioned by those who never even worked for the RR.
Cant you see how dead this place has become?
I understand delating things like the "Job Changes" thread, that person is just looking for trouble. But something innocent and interesting like this? Come on lighten up. It has many views already.
 #692992  by Plate F

I never go to the LIRR forum :)

But I have seen this video, however. It circulated around the RR industry a few weeks ago. Crazy. The tank was filled with Ethyl Oxide (TIH) and the town was evacuated. The tank was found to have not leaked, thankfully.
 #693251  by SaintSpellCheck

I think it probably dumped as it seperated. The engineer was not looking in that direction, he was looking forward.
 #693328  by roadster

I have to agree. The train dumped when the 5 or 6th cars were pushed over by the tornado, dragging the engines and those derailed cars to a quick stop. That's when the rest of the train with it's momentum caught up. Glad I wasn't in that engineer's seat. U know that impact had to hurt when the tank piled into the engines.
 #693438  by RearOfSignal

SaintSpellCheck wrote:I think it probably dumped as it seperated. The engineer was not looking in that direction, he was looking forward.
Yeah, you're probably right. That would scare the crap outta me. Make my own dump! :P
 #693880  by Plate F

Triker wrote:I wonder what was in that tank car, scary.
Plate F wrote:The tank was filled with Ethyl Oxide (TIH) and the town was evacuated. The tank was found to have not leaked, thankfully.
:wink:
 #696246  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's more regarding this incident:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=20080107tor

Brief passage:

• THE TORNADO THEN MOVED ACROSS THE CHICAGO AND NORTHWESTERN RAILROAD WHERE IT BLEW 12 RAILROAD FREIGHT CARS OFF THE TRACK. THE TRAIN WAS MOVING AT THE TIME THE TORNADO HIT IT...SO AS THE MAIN ENGINE STOPPED...THE REMAINING CARS ON THE TRACK CONTINUED ALONG IT AND SLAMMED INTO THE FRONT PART OF THE TRAIN. THIS CAUSED A FEW MORE CARS TO DERAIL...INCLUDING ONE CONTAINING HAZARDOUS MATERIALS THAT CAUSED THE EVACUATION OF THE TOWN OF LAWRENCE. THE DAMAGE IN LAWRENCE WAS RATED AS EF2 WITH WINDS UP TO 110 MPH.
 #701101  by toolmaker

I wonder how they happened to have a video of this. Did the conductor move to the trailng loco during the storm and turn on an on-board camera in the unit?
 #701114  by Plate F

The cameras are always on. You never know when something wild can happen, obviously.
 #701581  by slchub

toolmaker wrote:I wonder how they happened to have a video of this. Did the conductor move to the trailng loco during the storm and turn on an on-board camera in the unit?
Here is a link to the type of camera mounted in the UPRR locomtives and being installed on Amtrak as well:

http://www.canalalarm.com/product/silen ... nb1080.htm

The cameras record regardless if they are the leader or trailing units and loop/record over themselves on a continuous basis over a period of time.