Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#325832  by 2spot

VIAs "Malahat", train #'s 198 & 199 has apparently hit something along the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway. Likely a fallen tree as a result of windstorms happening on the island lately. Initial reports have a damaged pilot and one truck. SRY locomotives delivered it back to Esquimalt tonight through some deep snow. I hope to find out more soon.

#326878  by 2spot

I'm getting conflicting information here. One report is that RDC 6148 struck a rock around Cassidy, BC. After delivering 6148 to Victoria it appears it may have to go to Vancouver for truck repairs. A report has RDC 6133 in Vancouver waiting to return to the island. Can anybody confirm that 6133 has left IRSI? I've never heard that. At present we have no passenger service on the E&N. It may be a while yet...

#327540  by 2spot

A correction. It was RDC #6135 that hit a rock and has truck and apparently wheel damage. It will have to go to Vancouver for repairs. The 6148 is in Victoria getting repaired and is hoped to have it in service by Saturday. A short video of the railways locomotives clearing snow north of Qualicum Beach, BC today follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnhs88iTgMo

#327605  by Ken V

I'm more confused than before. Did 6148 hit a tree? 6135 hit a rock? 6133 is where? I know you don't have the answers.

More confusion is here ==> forums.railfan.net.

Nice clip of the SRY Geeps clearing the snow though.

#327622  by 2spot

Hi Ken. In order of your question: 6148 likely hit a fallen tree last sunday after a big windstorm, details are a little sketchy but a damaged pilot and truck were reported. 6135 I now understand had an engine compartment fire that was repaired, but shortly after resuming service hit a rock around Cassidy, BC. and has truck & wheel damage that wasnt repaired yet. It has to go to Vancouver. A few posts say that RDC 6133 is in Vancouver waiting for the proper tides to be barged back. Youre right though, it has been confusing. The Railfan.net and Yahoo groups have been both the answer and the confusion.

#328261  by 2spot

VIAs "Malahat" is back in service as of this morning.

#330652  by ENR3870

I have it on good authority that 6133 is not in Vancouver. I have not seen it at Thornton, or VIA, SRY, etc.