Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Spenda

I just read a rumour on another site that Via has purchased 5 former GO Transit F59s. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? If so, is there an expansion in the near future at Via?

I would have thought that with the F40s going through the rebuild program (albeit slowly) that Via was alright for power. In fact, when the rebuilds are complete won't they have three or four locomotives back on line that were previously stored? So, why purchase five GO F59s?

Could there be an as yet unannounced increase in corridor frequency? How about a Vancouver - Whistler service in time for the Olympics? Could they even rescue a few of the surplus Ren cars before they get scrapped and use them to start Edmonton - Calgary, or even better a Calgary - Edmonton - Ft. McMurray sleeper? I know, I'm dreaming here. Perhaps the F59s are needed to start the Peterborough service that was being talked about a year or so ago.

It should be interesting to see how this develops. Meantime, wild speculation is strongly encouraged.

Spenda
  by buddah

well my best guess is that there going to be standby locomotives If indeed the purchase was made. I know from reports that VIA wanted to purchase some of the P40s that Amtrak has in storage But Amtrak wanted way too much for them so that killed that deal, that was about 2+ years back. I seriously doubt there looking into new routes unless there bringing back old routes, say the overnight train from Toronto to Montreal etc. . I figure that would be the cheapest way to acquire locomotives as the Canadian Government owns both rail corporations ( like taking your left hand to pay your right hand), but Id have to see more details to speculate any further.
  by timberley

buddah wrote:well my best guess is that there going to be standby locomotives If indeed the purchase was made. I know from reports that VIA wanted to purchase some of the P40s that Amtrak has in storage But Amtrak wanted way too much for them so that killed that deal, that was about 2+ years back. I seriously doubt there looking into new routes unless there bringing back old routes, say the overnight train from Toronto to Montreal etc. . I figure that would be the cheapest way to acquire locomotives as the Canadian Government owns both rail corporations ( like taking your left hand to pay your right hand), but Id have to see more details to speculate any further.
Just to offer a slight correction here: VIA is owned by the Federal Government, while GO Transit is owned by the Government of Ontario (Hence the GO - G-overnment O-ntario Transit).

So while it would likely be easier, it wouldn't be as simple because it's a provincial-federal interaction, as opposed to an exclusively Federal deal.
  by Montrealrail

here in Montreal,there's 4 Go Transit locomotive,in the CAD Lachine industry
numbered 520,523,531 and 535,But I don't really know if theire for VIA or for the AMT,because both of them speak about buying new engines..
and tree other one were seen at St-Henri,going est,the 526,530 and 532(I missed
them at the crossing,no ppics..)

by ramonesfan

I notice they don't say GO anywhere on the locos anymore its been painted over. also why do they have the British flag on the locos and not the canadian flag. us i know Canada is under British rule but Canada is not England
  by timberley

also why do they have the British flag on the locos and not the canadian flag. us i know Canada is under British rule but Canada is not England
That's the flag of Ontario, albeit printed backwards on the one side of the locomotive.

Since GO is owned by the government of Ontario, the locos feature the Ontario flag. It does include the Union Jack (the British Flag) in the upper corner, to note Canada's, and particularly Ontario's, British heritage. Manitoba has a nearly identical flag, just with a different crest.