Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#696439  by buddah

I just posted a topic in the Amtrak section as the main route affected will be the Maple leaf.. 72 hrs is not a lot of time that was the same time given to the Toronto Garbage strike... as we now know were 30+ days into a garbage strike, lets hope VIA and there Union works this out and is not as stubborn as Miller and the union he now faces himself. Darn I wanted to go to Montreal for the weekend, so much for that last min. express deal ticket. This would have been the first time im going economy in over 3 years, however I'll pass on this trip and just go to wonderland instead this weekend.
 #696687  by ramonesfan

amtrak doesn't say that there train is cancelled. given amtraks history they will run the train all the way to niagra and leave the pax stranded there and say. opps we forgot via's on strike. at least you can get to Toronto via the go train but that's only on weekends.
 #696719  by buddah

well the discussion is going on in the Amtrak discussion on the soon to be cancellation of the maple leaf if a strike is presented. Im sure there will be Amtrak service to Niagara falls at least but beyond that is anyone's guess, the Adirondacks and cascades should fare out better and see little to no service disruptions but anything is possible as VIA rail owns and operates both station those trains use and maintenance facilities. I just feel sorry for those who wanted to travel between here (toronto) and montreal as VIA is currently contracting to get chartered buses for the weekend. I hate traveling by smellhound.

and here we were worrying about the NY budget and the Adirondacks faith and here comes along a possible bigger problem.
 #696965  by NS VIA FAN

buddah wrote:......the Adirondacks and cascades should fare out better and see little to no service disruptions but anything is possible as VIA rail owns and operates both station those trains use and maintenance facilities. I just feel sorry for those who wanted to travel between here (toronto) and montreal as VIA is currently contracting to get chartered buses for the weekend. I hate traveling by smellhound.
VIA does not own Montreal Gare Centrale……It is only a tenant. The station and CN Headquarters Building is owned by Homburg and leased to CN. It will continue to operate normally for AMT trains.

http://www.homburgcanada.com/files/drm/ ... 6aa2bb.pdf

Please consult the VIA Web Site……they are NOT chartering buses for this weekend. Beyond noon on Friday the 24th., no alternative transportation is being provided.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/update/montrea ... o-montreal
 #697032  by buddah

NS VIA FAN wrote: VIA does not own Montreal Gare Centrale……It is only a tenant. The station and CN Headquarters Building is owned by Homburg and leased to CN. It will continue to operate normally for AMT trains.
http://www.homburgcanada.com/files/drm/ ... 6aa2bb.pdf
Please consult the VIA Web Site……they are NOT chartering buses for this weekend. Beyond noon on Friday the 24th., no alternative transportation is being provided.
My Mistake on the comment of ownership of Gare Central, I was actually referring to ticketing and booking operations as those are run BY VIA Personnel when I spoke of VIA Rail Operating it. I should have been more precise in my statement.

As for the BUS comment Im referring to the statement that was Made yesterday morning to CTV and it states " Passengers will not be stranded and Buses will carry passengers to there Final destination if a strike is initiated Friday, those on LD trains when the strike begins will travel on buses over the weekend to there final destinations" However with the now eminent deadline approaching and VIA Rail canceling all LD train that may not be needed as most trains will have made it to there final destinations by the deadline. I see VIA Rail is doubling up there precautionary steps now as the strike seems eminent.

Mr. Norman has made a statement that most strikes are avoided in the 11th hour as a deal usually breaks in the final moments, I find that to be very true in the US as I'm originally from Chicago and have seen it happen before, However Canada seems to take a different Approach. I'm unfortunately expecting a strike, I hope for the sake of VIA passengers, I'm wrong. I'm not a fortune teller but If I deal is not reached by midnight tonight (thursday july 23).. I don't see one happening.

PS: NS VIA fan.. If you happen to read VIA website fully it also states that all trains will be canceled (before or after deadline) and reading into the site under certain trains it lists, example: Toronto-Montreal " Refund No alternate transportation' and some say "Refund OR alternate transportation" Id expect this to be by Bus unless there going to put passengers on flights. Note on Via rail for Toronto-Vancouver...
NOTE 1: Alternate transportation will be provided where possible at intermediate stations for passengers scheduled to depart before Friday, July 24, at noon EDT. After that, no alternate transportation will be provided.
 #697251  by NS VIA FAN

buddah wrote: PS: NS VIA fan.. If you happen to read VIA website fully it also states that all trains will be canceled (before or after deadline) and reading into the site under certain trains it lists, example: Toronto-Montreal " Refund No alternate transportation' and some say "Refund OR alternate transportation" Id expect this to be by Bus unless there going to put passengers on flights. Note on Via rail for Toronto-Vancouver...
NOTE 1: Alternate transportation will be provided where possible at intermediate stations for passengers scheduled to depart before Friday, July 24, at noon EDT. After that, no alternate transportation will be provided.
Yes I read the site fully and that's what I said in my post.....
NS VIA FAN wrote:..........................Beyond noon on Friday the 24th., no alternative transportation is being provided.

#697275  by Gilbert B Norman

ramonesfan wrote:just what are they going to strike about. wages health care etc.
A perfectly good question, Mr. Ramones.

From this Canadian Business coverage, it would appear that there has not been a Contract since 2006 (I confess ignorance to the collective bargaining process in Canada or if there is industry specific Labor Relations legislation such as there is in the US with the Railway Labor Act). The reportage would suggest that passenger runs are unassigned meaning Engineers work first in first out as they do in "pool" freight service, be it Canada or the States.

Finally, here is some video courtesy of a Winnipeg newspaper, even if it appears such was filmed in Toronto:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/money/2009/0 ... 26566.html
 #697429  by ramonesfan

posting this here sense its about via.
Important Negotiations at Impasse – VIA Prepares to Cancel All Trains

VIA Rail Canada and the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference resumed negotiations this past Monday, with the assistance of a federally appointed mediator. Talks continued until 1 am EDT this morning, July 24. Despite intense negotiations over the past four days, the parties were unfortunately unable to reach an agreement, and the negotiations are currently at an impasse.

The union, which represents some 340 locomotive engineers, earlier issued a strike notice indicating its intent to go on strike as of noon EDT today, Friday, July 24.

Barring a last-minute resolution, VIA will have no choice but to cease operations of Canada’s national passenger rail service as of Friday, July 24, 2009 at noon EDT. Trains on the Sudbury-White River and Victoria-Courtenay routes will remain in service, as they are operated by third parties on VIA’s behalf.

Affected passengers may obtain a refund of any unused tickets.

To obtain updates, customers may visit viarail.ca or contact VIA at 888 VIA-RAIL (888 842-7245) or 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired).

VIA sincerely regrets any inconvenience that this situation may cause its customers.

For more information:

How do I obtain a refund/exchange for my purchased train ticket?

For information regarding Amtrak trains connecting to or from Canada, please contact Amtrak directly at 1-800-USA-RAIL, or visit amtrak.com.
 #697442  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is coverage as of a few hours ago by the Canadian Press (courtesy Google News):

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... sgRUBuAu8g

• MONTREAL — Thousands of travellers across the country will likely need to find another way to get to their destinations if they are travelling by train.

Locomotive engineers at Via Rail appear to be headed for a strike today after the collapse of negotiations with the rail service.

The company said barring a last minute resolution, it will cancel all service across the country at noon ET, the deadline set by the engineers for a settlement.

Via, which carries nearly 12-thousand passengers a day, had already cancelled some departures this week in anticipation of a walkout - including trains leaving early this morning from Halifax.

The 340 engineers are represented by the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference union and have been without a contract since Dec. 31, 2006.
Discussion relating to the NY-Toronto Maple Leaf interline operation as well at the NY-Montreal Adirondack and Seattle- Vancouver Pacific International trackage rights over CN is moving forth over at the Amtrak forum.

As of this writing, if "down in the States", I'd be saying "there's still time, Brother". However, there has been enough informed discussion both here and at Amtrak Forum to suggest that Canadian labor disputes are not resolved at Eleventh Hour, and that if this one was to be resolved without a work stoppage, it would have been so by now.
 #697566  by buddah

STRIKE IN EFFECT.....

Its just Past 12 Noon EST and all trains have stopped running and passengers are now being bused to there locations, Union station Toronto, the VIA ticket booths are shut down and trains are parked , I figure there was no press/media announcement to say its official but taken into account the above I guess that's as official as it gets.

NOW WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ?
 #697718  by ramonesfan

it could be a long one. great via rail will end up going out of buiness cause of this strike. I say fire the strikers and hire non-union workers.