Railroad Forums 

• Vermonter - First Amtrak trip since c 1998

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#182437  by shadyjay

When I was in college from 1996 to 1998, I would take Amtrak trains (then NortheastDirect) from Boston to Old Saybrook, and took one trip down to New York City. In 1998, I also took the Vermonter from New Haven CT to Brattleboro VT. But this time, things would be different.

Saturday October 30:
My trip would be from Essex Jct VT to Meriden CT on the Vermonter (My plans to take the trip October 15 were cancelled due to the tracks being washed out). I met the station "caretaker" at ESX who was very nice and talked to him for a while - I was in my old conductor's outfit as I was going to a Halloween party in CT. Contrary to what the folks at 1-800-USARAIL told me, I was able to use my exchange voucher on board the train, which arrived on time at Essex Jct, the station for Burlington, at 8:58AM on Saturday October 29. The consist was a P42 leading, then the cafe/coach, then 3 coaches, then a cab/coach. All the coaches and the cafe car which was half dinette tables and half business class 2-1 seating, had the newer blue interior, a big change from the old red interior I was used to riding in during the 1990s.

Leaving ESX, the train moved along at a pretty good clip and even arrived at Montpelier a little ahead of schedule. Past Montpelier, the announcement was made that Bob from the NPS would be talking about Vermont towards the rear of the train. I opted to sit back and watch the scenery. Arriving at White River Jct, there was a mobscene of people. Was I back in the 1920s and 1930s when this place hosted dozens of trains a day? Not quite, but there were two passenger trains in the station at once - a Green Mountain Railroad/VTRS excursion train was on the north Conn River line behind the station. People were everywhere on the platform. Later I found out this was a Mystic Valley Railway Society charter.

Past Windsor, I photographed the longest covered bridge in the world spanning the CT River. We moved along briskly down the Conn River Line. Along the way, I noticed the B&M-era CTC signals still functioning but also saw some new ones. Walked to the cafe car and got lunch: a cheeseburger, chips, and a beer. Departing Brattleboro, we slowed down approaching VT Yankee, then were up to speed again heading down to Palmer. Just before the diamond, we were delayed for about 15 minutes due to track work. This was all announced to us by our friendly crew. The reverse move seemed to go faster than it did back in 1998. Maybe because there was a CSX freight on the main waiting to head west and we got the right of way. An Amtrak train getting the right of way ahead of a CSX train on a CSX-owned line. Yes, I know, sounds shocking.

Arrived at Springfield 15 min down and after we left, meandered back to the cafe car for a beer. By the time hit Meriden CT we were 10 minutes down. I got off and my ride was waiting.

Sunday October 31
A little tired from the party, I went to the OSB station and bought my ticket for the return trip to VT. My mom dropped me off at Meriden and my train was right on time. Again, same consist as the previous day's trip, with the cab control/coach leading, then 3 coaches, cafe car/business class, and P42 #142. Found a seat facing the wrong direction but it was the last seat in the car so there was extra legroom, and past Hartford, I had both seats to myself. Leaving Springfield, we were delayed 15 minutes due to the Late-For-Sure Limited arriving from Boston. We got on the move, did the reverse move at Palmer, and were off to VT. I headed to the cafe car for a cheeseburger, chips and Pepsi. We managed to make up some time enroute by bypassing Bellows Falls, Claremont, and Randolph stations as there was noone there to get on or off. We hit WRJ at about 10 min down. Past Randolph, the dreaded sound of the engine shutting down and the lights going out freaked me out. Then I glanced over to the right and in a field were hundreds of lit pumpkins. The train crew announced it and we crawled through, our train darkened to soak up the ambiance. We arrived at Essex Junction at around 9:00, just under 15 minutes late.

All in all, it was a great trip. I can't wait to travel again, as the cost was just about what it would take to drive my truck from VT to CT. Of course taking the train there is no wear-and-tear on your vehicle and you can sit back and relax. I was in no rush so the fact that it was 2 hr longer than driving didn't matter. I hope I can take the train again, if its schedule and mine work out again.

-JH
 #194842  by shadyjay

Back for another trip, this time SB DEC 10 / NB DEC 11. VERMONTER.

Depart ESX (Essex Jct/Burlington), SB DEC 10, 2005, TRAIN 57
Train arrived on time. A very good sized crowd was present and we filed onto the second car on the train, the first coach.

Consist: P42 #107, Bus Class/Cafe/Dinette, A1 #82520 (I sat here), A1 #?, A1 #?, Cab Control coach. All equipment in Phase IVb except locomotive which was in Phase V. Noticed in my refurbished (blue) car that the LEDs (EXIT - RESTROOM OTHER END) alternate with messages such as "Try Railfone, Check out the new Acela Service, Be Courtious on Cell Phones, etc", something I didn't notice on my October trip.

We moved right along the NECR southbound to White River Jct after bypassing the Randolph stop. We arrived about 10 minutes ahead of the "advertised" and were told we could get off for a break. We soon were moving again, leaving on time at 11:05. I believe we passed through Claremont without stopping. Grabbed lunch around this time, no cheesburger so I went with the hot dog/chips combo. Very good. Just before Bellows Falls, a NECR train was in the hole waiting for us to go by. Arrived at Brattleboro 5 minutes down and were 20" down by Amherst. The reverse direction, like last time, was announced by our train crew (same crew I had last time), and we arrived at Springfield, with cab control car leading. By the time we reached Meriden, we had made up 10" and were only 10" down.

Depart MDN (Meriden CT), NB DEC 11, 2005, TRAIN 54
Train arrived into station area on time but held just before the platform so that a SB shuttle running 5" late could take passengers. It left and #54 pulled up.

Consist: P42 #130, A1 #?, A1 #82562 (I rode here), A1 #? (red), A1 #?, Bus Class/Cafe/Dinette, P42 #164. Again, all equipment was in Phase IVb, except for the locomotives, which were Phase V. All cars had remodeled interiors except the one id'd as (red) above.

I hoped on and grabbed a backwards seat in the red car. I had a seat all to myself. By the time we reached Springfield, I had found a seat in the next car back, which was a refurbished car. The Springfield stop was quite long leaving me to believe we arrived there at least 10" early, maybe 15" early. There was a cab control car sitting on one of the tracks in the station, perhaps the one that used to be on the NB train but replaced with an extra diesel. The Lake Shore Limited from Boston to Chicago arrived on time and left before we did. Left SPG on time, headed to Palmer, then headed up the NECR with #164 leading. I grabbed a late lunch (cheesburger, chips, soda) in the cafe car. Made good time through Mass, but were 5 minutes down from BFL up to Ascutney. Somewhere around WRJ, got hungry again and had a hot dog. The food's not bad even though its microwaved. The burgers are exceptionally good! Arrived and departed WRJ on time with only a brief 2-minute stop, not like our 10 minute break on the NB run. Flew through Randolph without stopping, and arrived at Essex Jct on time, maybe 5" early.

Again, another great Amtrak trip. I really have to give it up to the Amtrak crew from Springfield, northward. They are really personal and helpful. Any Amtrak crew though deserves credit for getting us over the road on time (or close to it). Freights of CSX and NECR were sitting in the hole waiting for us to go by. Was I on the Northeast Corridor? Nope, just a guest on a host railroad.

-JH

#219310  by shadyjay

My third Vermonter trip... SB ESX-NHV on 2/24, NB MDN-ESX on 2/26...

SB, the train arrived on time into ESX in a snow squall. P42 leading only 4 cars (no cab car). Conductors stated we would have a full load this trip. Arriving Waterbury, I noticed passenger facilities are now out of a trailer on the west side of the crossing. Seems the restoration of the station has finally begun (about time - it needs it). On time all the way down to WRJ, arriving at 10:50. I headed off to the cafe car at this point and grabbed a cheeseburger and chips for lunch. NECR train passed us during the layover. We were 5" down arriving at BBO, most likely due to the "slow order" in Putney where the washout occured last fall. 10" down into Amherst (as usual), but on time into Springfield. Leaving Hartford, we were 5" down due to 70+ boarding. The train was really full at this point. Arrived Berlin 5" late but arrived at NHV 10" early on the track closest to the station. I got off, headed for the "subway" and to the last platform for my 4:27 Shore Line East train to OSB.

This was my first time riding SLE since around 1998. I rode in the cab car and got a good view of the Shore Line head on. The cab car itself, a Bomb car, was in pretty sad shape, compared to the Amtrak cars. The windows were becoming opaque and there was graffiti on the seats. No wonder CT riders can't wait for the new M-8s! Arrived into OSB on Track 1, crossed the platform, and waited for my ride.

Sunday, I got a ride to Meriden CT for my NB trip on the Vermonter back to ESX. Train arrived on-time (the SB "Shuttle" to NHV was late) with cab car 9641 (in Phase IVb) leading, then 3 coaches and a cafe/business class (full compliment of cars for this train). Conductor directed us to available seats in the cab car, which of course is an ex-original Metroliner car, but looked identical inside to an Amfleet coach. For a good portion of the last half of the ride to SPG, I stood in the aisle checking out the view. We arrived 10" early into SPG. At SPG, I discovered the engine on the tail end was #110, the same one from my SB trip on Friday. Leaving SPG, we moved a short distance, then stopped for a good 10", then continued. We were 10" down into Amherst, 15" into Bellows Falls, and remained like that to WRJ. North of Claremont NH, it seemed one of the signals was on the ground, cause I saw a red light laying next to the tracks in the area where I thought was a signal. Around Randolph, I was the last one in the cab car so the conductor moved me up 2 cars. Snow was accumulating in the vestibules. We were 10" down into Randolph, right up to Waterbury. But somehow, we arrived 5" early into ESX, where most of the train's passengers and myself disembarked.

Again, great job Amtrak and NECR for getting us in on-time, even ahead of schedule, in most cases, and letting me enjoy my weekend as planned.

-JH