Railroad Forums 

• Various Vermont questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1433658  by BobLI

I was in Island Pond and also Norton Vermont and noticed the track that ran to the Canadian border. What RR is using that track and how to trains cross the border with customs? Was also in Newport and noticed what seems like OOS track there by a shopping center. What RR was that?
 #1433714  by FLRailFan1

BobLI wrote:I was in Island Pond and also Norton Vermont and noticed the track that ran to the Canadian border. What RR is using that track and how to trains cross the border with customs? Was also in Newport and noticed what seems like OOS track there by a shopping center. What RR was that?
I believe Newport is served by the Washington County Railroad. The OOS railroad might be the old Quebec Central.
 #1433725  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Newport is the interchange point between Central Maine & Quebec and Washington County, a Vermont Rail System reporting mark (VRS's 4 separate in-state marks functionally operate as a seamless system, though WACR is isolated from the others by a haulage trip on NECR). The junction at Main St./US 5 is the division post between CMQR's Newport Sub (turning sharply west), WACR's Upper Conn River Line sub running due south, and the old CP line to Sherbrooke to the northeast. Columbia Forest Products on the short remaining active stub of the Sherbrooke line is a CMQR customer, but WACR is tasked with handling the local deliveries to them.
 #1433727  by NHV 669

The line from Norton/Canadian border runs east down to Danville Jct., ME, where it meets the "back road" of PAR. This line is run by St. Lawrence & Atlantic, a G&W subsidiary.

Thread full of sightings/reports can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=59429&start=1260