Railroad Forums 

• Vandalia Railroad - Bridgeport Station?(Indiana)

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1180811  by doublestacks

Hi all, im from indiana. I'm specifically trying to find as much information as possible about the old station that was in Bridgeport, Indiana. A small unincorperated town just west of indianapolis. It sat on the terre haute line. From historic text i found that it was closed in 1906.

Did interurbans run this line as well? Old maps label the line as Terre Haute, Indianapolis, & Eastern Traction Company.

Anybody have any pictures of the station or anything pertaining to the line?

Thanks in advance.
 #1181663  by doublestacks

I stand to correct myself on railroad history. I think the vandalia had done away with the station 2 years after its charter. The Terre Haute & Richmond Railroad would have been the operator of the station like you said (Th,I&E). The dates of operation would be 1852 to 1906.
 #1181826  by CarterB

IIRC the Terre Haute & Richmond [1851] (then Terre Haute and Indianapolis [1865]), was a predecesssor of the Vandalia [1868], being bought out by the PRR in 1893. There was a Vandalia station in Bridgeport closed on or before 1910.

The THI&E was formed 1 March 1907 consolidating the Indianapolis & Western Railway and the Terre Haute Traction & Light Co. portion/s into the system. (among others) Not sure exactly when the traction line through Bridgeport was built or by whom (Indianapolis Coal Traction?) or where the traction station may have been. The THI&E ran just south of the Vandalia.