Railroad Forums 

• Utica branch review

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#381374  by JoeCollege

Hi all, just FYI-

Substantial washouts remain between Oxford and Greene on this line. In many places south of Brisben, the tracks are basically suspended across small gorges washed out last June. South of Oxford there are tree trunks still across the line.

I have no first hand knowledge, but I doubt this line will receive any funding to be rehabbed. Any rail funds at this time would, I think, be directed to CSX to get some upgrades. Chenango County manages to bide its time rather than be proactive seeking any funding to clear the line.

#381432  by washingtonsecondary

Thats why a substantial portion is being abandoned.

#381475  by Cactus Jack

A far cry from the 1970's and early '80's when Chenango County had alot of industry that depended on rail traffic and they were very vocal against any moves by EL or CR to downgrade service. Sherburne alone used to be good for over 1700 cars / year in early CR days and Norwich was even busier till the last year or so before NYSW. Problem is that virtually nothing is left

Greene - Maxson Feed, Agway, Page Seed - all gone

Brisben - Farm Machinery - gone

Oxford - DPW, Marshman Farms, Feed Store - gone

Norwich - Victory, Agway Fertilizer, New Berlin Feed, Smith Eqpt, Norwich Distributors, IL Richer, Sheffield, Norwich Eaton, Briggs Lumber, Victory Refrigerated Warehouse all once vital rail customers all gone.

Hard to imagine the heavy thunder of Trains 97-74 with 3-7 units on the headend storming up and down the valley during 1974-76 with 60-100 cars on their tail kicking up dust and rocking and rolling between New England and Chicago and the Norwich and Sherburne locals trying to stay out of their way at times ! - or the age old "Bull" that was such a tradition dating well back in DL&W years and surviving into 1974.

#381496  by JoeCollege

washingtonsecondary wrote:Thats why a substantial portion is being abandoned.
Correct. I knew that and had discussed that here and in other forums. The railroad has claimed abandonment is a possibility, not certain. I was posting my observations as an update to show that absolutely no work has been done.

Actually,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:16 am Post subject:
A far cry from the 1970's and early '80's when Chenango County had alot of industry that depended on rail traffic and they were very vocal against any moves by EL or CR to downgrade service. Sherburne alone used to be good for over 1700 cars / year in early CR days and Norwich was even busier till the last year or so before NYSW. Problem is that virtually nothing is left
That's why it is being abandoned! :wink: Wish the line still had some business to keep it alive but more importantly to keep our small towns alive!

#382825  by ut-1

In an article published in The Evening Sun (Norwich, NY) on March 22nd it was noted that NYS&W has requested 5.6 million dollars "to repair and upgrade its lines", including that portion of its Utica-Binghamton line damaged by flooding in June 2006. NYS&W spokesman Nathan Fenno stated: "We asked for it. We don't know if we'll get it". The Mayor is quoted as saying an abandonment would not serve the City's interests even though the NYS&W presently does not serve any industries in his city. According to the President of the Chenango County Chamber of Commerce, an earlier request for NYS financial assistance was denied. Apparently, hope springs eternal.