Railroad Forums 

• Using Photographs for Commuter Station Billboards

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1220346  by LIRR272

Hello once again. Has anyone used real photographs to be used as advertisments or billboards for a passenger train station? If so how what was the process? Are there any articles on how to do this work? I used Google and no such luck.

Thanks
 #1220360  by Railjunkie

Never used photos but I have used period magazine advertising and old match book covers with great results. Sanding down the paper with steel wool will help if the advertising will be placed on a building. I just glued match book covers in place or grabbed some blank billboard frames from JL innovative designs and bingo there you have it a nice new billboard.
 #1224889  by Otto Vondrak

LIRR272 wrote:Hello once again.
Hi.
Has anyone used real photographs to be used as advertisments or billboards for a passenger train station?
Yes.
If so how what was the process?
1. Take a picture

2. download it to your computer

3. shrink it to the size you want

4. print it out

5. glue it to a billboard on your layout
Are there any articles on how to do this work? I used Google and no such luck.
Try: http://trc.trains.com/magazineindex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-

Thanks[/quote]
 #1227068  by glennk419

Otto Vondrak wrote:
LIRR272 wrote:Hello once again.
Hi.
Has anyone used real photographs to be used as advertisments or billboards for a passenger train station?
Yes.
If so how what was the process?
1. Take a picture

2. download it to your computer

3. shrink it to the size you want

4. print it out

5. glue it to a billboard on your layout
Are there any articles on how to do this work? I used Google and no such luck.
Try: http://trc.trains.com/magazineindex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-

Thanks
[/quote]

I've also used this technique to create station and tower name plates / signs. The possibilities are almost limitless.