Railroad Forums 

• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#978593  by NellieBly

Nice video! I was on the 2000 excursion with my then five-year-old son. It was a great trip. It's a shame that nobody has videos of the train out on the pier. We went all the way out to the end. As I recall, the pier is three miles long. Pretty cool.

Where did the passenger cars come from? I'm remembering that they're from the collection of the proposed Phillipsburg railroad museum. is that correct?
 #979211  by Sid Farkus

NellieBly wrote:Where did the passenger cars come from? I'm remembering that they're from the collection of the proposed Phillipsburg railroad museum. is that correct?
URHS, they are sitting in Boonton today.
 #985083  by Jtgshu

Hearing the train coming up to Leonardo right now. First Ive heard the train in a few weeks!
 #997582  by ChrisU

Train ran today, left the pier at about 4:50pm an SW1200 was leading, the second engine was SW900M 65-00636, he had about 20 boxcars and flat cars.
 #997585  by Jtgshu

NJTArrow2 wrote:Train ran today, left the pier at about 4:50pm an SW1200 was leading the second engine was SW900M 65-00636 he had about 20 box cars and flat cars.
I heard them this morning - someone or something must have been in the way on their way out to the pier in the Leonardo complex, becuase the eng was on the horn a LOT....sounded nice!

I heard them the other morning, a few days ago (I don't remember day - everythings a blur....) about the same time.

The sound of a switcher working hard in the cold crisp air is a sound that is unmistakable to me.....even with the windows closed and the heat on, the sound/rumble travels for miles over open water! Wakes me right up.....good or bad, I dunno.
 #997761  by ChrisU

Jtgshu wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:Train ran today, left the pier at about 4:50pm an SW1200 was leading the second engine was SW900M 65-00636 he had about 20 box cars and flat cars.
I heard them this morning - someone or something must have been in the way on their way out to the pier in the Leonardo complex, becuase the eng was on the horn a LOT....sounded nice!

I heard them the other morning, a few days ago (I don't remember day - everythings a blur....) about the same time.

The sound of a switcher working hard in the cold crisp air is a sound that is unmistakable to me.....even with the windows closed and the heat on, the sound/rumble travels for miles over open water! Wakes me right up.....good or bad, I dunno.
Hahaha It would be good to me,they'll probably run the rest of the week and maybe next week, it seems that when a ship comes in they'll run Mon-Fri the week after it comes in if it doesn't come in on a weekend.
 #998063  by Earle Baldwin

I just heard him heading out to Leonardo. The sound was traveling pretty well to Red Bank this morning. Some mornings, provided it's quiet without much background noise, I can hear him from the time he blows for Swimming River Road right through to Oak Hill Road. As JT mentioned, it's fun listening to those vintage EMD prime movers working hard with a heavy train.:)
 #998220  by kevin.brackney

Until it's demise a few years ago, the 1205th Transportation Battalion maintained a detachment at NS Earle, in addition to other training locations that soldiers reported directly to on drill weekends. Some of this training was rather austere, nonetheless it was MOS specific training most of the time. I was personally involved with the training that was conducted at the Pioneer Valley Railroad while serving withthe 226th TC Co. (Railway Operating); a subordinate element of the 1205th at that time.
 #998287  by ChrisU

Train ran again today,left the pier around 4:35pm, same power and 25 boxcars.
 #1051337  by ChrisU

Saw the train cross Sleepy hollow Rd around 4:50pm today with engines VO1000M 65-00367 #1,SW1200 65-00361 #6 and about 20 cars.
 #1051778  by ChrisU

#1052368  by ChrisU

Happened to see the train cross Middletown-Lincroft Rd around 415pm today with the same power!