Railroad Forums 

• UPRR Police Special Agent

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1291795  by Jim1348

I just saw an announcement in my area for UPRR Police Special Agent. I am interested in doing this. I have been a police officer and then deputy sheriff for over 30 years. With me being 53 years old, is the UPRR going to look for much younger candidates?
 #1292165  by COEN77

Jim1348 wrote:I just saw an announcement in my area for UPRR Police Special Agent. I am interested in doing this. I have been a police officer and then deputy sheriff for over 30 years. With me being 53 years old, is the UPRR going to look for much younger candidates?
CSX was hiring train conductors that were in their 50s and older. With your experience I'd go for it.
 #1294593  by Jim1348

I found out that the position that had originally been open for two weeks has been extended for one more week. Should I assume that means that they didn't get what they considered to be a sufficient number of applicants or could there be some other reason to extended the deadline one more week?
 #1294719  by COEN77

Jim1348 wrote:I found out that the position that had originally been open for two weeks has been extended for one more week. Should I assume that means that they didn't get what they considered to be a sufficient number of applicants or could there be some other reason to extended the deadline one more week?
Did you apply for it? It could be extending it for other applicants.
 #1300848  by Jim1348

Since several weeks have passed and I hadn't heard anything, I checked https://up.jobs/secure/myapplications.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it shows:

09-09-2014 Special Agent in Saint Paul The Job Has Been Canceled

Does anybody happen to know how common this is for UPRR or why whey would cancel a job? For example, might someone who is a Special Agent in another area have transferred or is that not common in the UPRR?
 #1300963  by Freddy

Jim1348 wrote:Since several weeks have passed and I hadn't heard anything, I checked https://up.jobs/secure/myapplications.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it shows:

09-09-2014 Special Agent in Saint Paul The Job Has Been Canceled

Does anybody happen to know how common this is for UPRR or why whey would cancel a job? For example, might someone who is a Special Agent in another area have transferred or is that not common in the UPRR?
Could have been they didn't like the look of budget for the fourth quarter and decided to wait until next year. Could have been a number of reasons.
 #1316731  by Jim1348

I found out yesterday that the agent that was going to retire didn't retire after all, thus they canceled the job opening.