Railroad Forums 

• Uploading Video to YouTube

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#684505  by hotbike

I have obtained a DVD recorder, and I was able to transfer video from tape to DVD disk .

I have some video that I'm sure railroad.net users would like to see. I shot this video in 1997, so a lot of things are gone: The low-level platforms, the original ticket vending machines (before the current touch screen TVM's), the GP38-2's, etc.

I also have video of #3100, the power car, in service.

And I have the computer generated video that shows the interior of the C-3 cars, although I taped it by holding the camcorder in front of a TV.

I have video of M1 and M3 trains crossing the Manhasset Viaduct. The view is blocked now by a new building.

So I have the video on DVD, and I can play it on my Apple computer, but I can't save the files to the hard-disk, or create files in the wmv or mpeg formats.

I would like to get this video online, via YouTube, so all can share the pleasure of viewing.

I tried I-Movie, I-Tunes, and Quick Time Player, but none of these applications seem to be able to make a file, from the video.

Can someone please give me advice on how to upload these railfan videos to YouTube?
 #684695  by hotbike

scotty269 wrote:Click the file once, and press APPLE and "I" key, it will bring up the file information. What is the file type?
Two problems with that suggestion:

It is an Apple computer, but the keyboard is made by Microsoft, there is no APPLE key. I can't remember which key that is. "Ctrl" and "Alt", or the "Start" key between them?

One of the files ends in .TS ?

I want to make video clips in the .mpeg format.
 #685055  by hotbike

Okay, I followed that link, and I downloaded a "Trial" version of "AVCWare Mac Video Converter".

It seems to have worked, and I've already learned to edit. Thank you for that suggestion.

Now I have Youtube in another window, and it's saying "Downloaded (Processing, please wait)".

I have no idea how long that will take.
 #685107  by JhnZ33

Uploads to Youtube may take a while before they are available to view, they are not instant. I've had to wait sometimes up to 12 to 24 hours before it was available to view.

JP
 #685221  by JhnZ33

Looks good. I haven't checked out the program (I don't own a MAC), but I would check to see if there is an option for square or rectangular pixels. The video seems to have a slightly "fat" aspect ratio, possibly due to using the native 720x480 rectangular pixel setting straight from the DVD file.

JP
 #708866  by Montrealrail

Very interesting videos
the one with the gantlet tracl at the station was kind of special,may be the inner side is for passenger trains and the outer side is for freight trains..
I get a video taked from a cab,where we can see a gantlet bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuaOQWVB3xs

For putting vidos on youtube,the only thing I care about is the sound track,when I put music while showing pictures,sometime youtube disable the audio and after,all the video is crapped,have to reedit with new sound..

I'm using the MPEG encoder to transfert DVD on WMV,pretty easy,but it's a paid program,and with virtuadub,we can recrop a video file in a few clic..
 #708937  by hotbike

I watched that, it was interesting. Someone once posted that there is only six (6) miles of gantlet track in the United States. Of course, that doesn't count the track in your video, since it's in Canada.
The bell sounding at the end of the video, is that to indicate that the train is still fouling the gantlet track, until the last axle is clear?