Railroad Forums 

• updates on new and existing sidings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#322936  by tahawus84

Reigel Warehousing is also planning on building a warehouse off bellport ave. in Medford and the plans include a railroad siding :wink:

#324108  by Jayjay1213

>>If I remember correctly, Salesmaster was happy with the service after his first car too.

Jay<<

Damn locked fences :wink:

#324173  by Sir Ray

What's with all the winking emoticons, gents?
They lead me, a NON NY&A employee, to assume that:
1. Riegel Warehousing is not planning a new warehouse at all
2. Salesmaster had severe car delivery problems at some point.

Is this correct? (and we need a confused emoticon also)

#324440  by jayrmli

I can only answer Salesmaster. They were NYAR's first new mainline customer. As such, they were looked at as their baby, and wanted to use it to show other potential customers that rail could possibly work for them too.

It was a nice flag to fly, but unfortunately there was more to it than just raising the flag. Salesmaster was located all the way at the end of a long industrial siding. When the first car came in, the job assigned had to stop all their regular work, so Salesmaster could get his car first thing in the morning (Did NYAR really expect this to be a regular move? Why give the customer false expectations?). Since this track was unused for so long, NYAR had to inspect the track. Unfortunately, they only fixed the track up to the first building, because that's where they thought Salesmaster was. Wrong! As I said, it was all the way at the end. Miraculously, the rest of the track was approved, on the spot.

In between the switch and Salesmaster's door was lots of businesses which loved to close and lock their fences, many with locks the crews had no keys for. When the gates weren't locked, there was always a trailer parked on the track blocking access.

Eventually, Salesmaster gave up. But remember, it was all the crew's fault. They just didn't want to do it. :wink: (All those in the know can appreciate that winky!)

Jay

#324499  by LRail

where was Salesmaster located?

#324507  by Sir Ray

LRail wrote:where was Salesmaster located?
I just looked up using Google Earth (its on Marcus Blvd, off Commack Road in Deer Park, right south of the LIRR) - not far from Home Depot and the former Edo? site.
I thought I recognized that industrial lead - I asked about it several years ago - from the looks of it, it branches off the main heading Southwest (and dips down in elevation) through the parking lot of PC Richards, past a former Swimming pool distributor (a few years back, I used their parking lot to check out the trackage there, leading to me posting my question then), and the spiding ends at (what must be) Salesmaster - so this gives us 2 distributors between Salesmaster and the mainline - I know PC Richards has a gate, not sure about who-ever was in the pool distributor, and probably Salesmaster has a gate (and seems to be the one with the trailers on the track, according to Google Earth). I don't know, doesn't seem insurmountable to me - for some reason I was envisioning one of those long 1 story light industrial suite buildings with 10 different businesses (usuallly auto body shops, home contractors, and a MLM company thrown in), each with 10 different fences and gates in the back. OK, so I've only know what I saw via public access (and parking lots) and via Google Earth - if I am completely wrong, please correct me.

How long ago was the Salesmaster moves...I know I posted maybe 2-3 years ago, and it seemed at that time that NY&A crew was more than happy that siding was no longer served (much like Cheshire[sp] Plywood in NHP) - I guess now we know why...

#327608  by jayrmli

If one trailer is blocking the track, it is insurmountable. Nothing the crew can do...particularly at 3:30AM.

Salesmaster & Chesler Plywood were very similar to service. I prefered to service Chesler over Salesmaster. Seemed to get luckier there.

There's hope for the old Salesmaster siding though. Apparently, a C&D customer is moving in there. Can't wait to see it!

Jay

#327753  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:If one trailer is blocking the track, it is insurmountable. Nothing the crew can do...particularly at 3:30AM.
I've seen in Jersey (and probably lots of other places, but I've seen in Jersey at least) they yellow-strip the ROW so truckers know where not to leave the trailers...and where truckers don't seem to care about yellow lines, they add bollards/poles (plastic, metal, or concrete, depending on the stubborness of the truckers) to prevent trailers from fouling the ROW (they may esclate the matter further if the trucker insists on leaving a trailer blocking the ROW this way, perhaps a mob-style hit or something and then grab the truck keys...)
There's hope for the old Salesmaster siding though. Apparently, a C&D customer is moving in there. Can't wait to see it!
If the siding is where I described it, I can't possibly image PC Richards enjoying that possiblity.
Is the C&D operation going in before Salesmaster, or in place of Salesmaster...if the former, with a new customer starting to receive service, perhaps Salesmaster could restart it's service (and with twice the number of cars, you then can safely deploy 'Ramming Speed' to clear pesky trailers from the ROW...)

#327960  by b&p rupture

Sir Ray wrote:(they may esclate the matter further if the trucker insists on leaving a trailer blocking the ROW this way, perhaps a mob-style hit or something and then grab the truck keys...)
Mob style hit.......now that should have an :wink: , maybe.

#328268  by Sir Ray

b/p rupture wrote:
Sir Ray wrote:(they may esclate the matter further if the trucker insists on leaving a trailer blocking the ROW this way, perhaps a mob-style hit or something and then grab the truck keys...)
Mob style hit.......now that should have an :wink: , maybe.
There is nothing in my post which would lead one to believe that there had been any embellishment... :P

#471420  by tj48

This siding seems to active. About 2 wks ago the siding was being worked on by a contractor. Couldn't get too close but it looked like they were repairing the siding by the warehouse (the Salesmaster building?) towards the end of the siding.
Friday there was a string of very new (build date of 06) open top hopper cars with OGIX reporting marks at the very end of the siding unloading aggregete(?) into dump trucks. The truck I saw was heading to a local concrete company.
Today those same hopper cars had been pulled foward on the siding maybe for pick up?