Railroad Forums 

• Update on Proposed Downeast Scenic Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#186821  by bwparker1

Scenic Rail May be Ready in ’07
By Tom Walsh

ELLSWORTH — An excursion railroad carrying tourists between Ellsworth and Green Lake could be pulling out of a new High Street depot as soon as summer 2007.

“Our planned startup date is summer 2008, but, if we could do it in 2007, that would be even better,” said Thomas J. Testa of Bar Harbor, president of the Downeast Rail Heritage Preservation Trust.

“The sooner we get it up and running, the sooner it benefits the community,” Testa said in outlining the project for about 90 supporters attending a reception last week in Ellsworth.

Testa and dozens of other volunteers associated with the nonprofit organization have been working for years to create the Downeast Scenic Railroad. Testa expects ongoing negotiations with the Maine Department of Transportation, which owns the long-dormant 127-mile Calais Branch railroad corridor between Brewer and Calais, to be finalized within a few weeks.

[snip by ov]
http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/archiv ... 17-05.html
 #186945  by Cosmo

Wow!! Now, only NINE YEARS after I left Ellsworth to join the Navy!! :P
I really hope it works out! I wouldn't mind moving back to that area if the RR could offer me a decent job/wage. :-D I wonder what mortgage payments are like up they-ah? :wink:
Cosmo