Railroad Forums 

• UP train crew Salem IL

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1282402  by bgreg1991

Hey everybody I'm new to this forum and to the railroad. I recently have been released to start for train service in Salem IL. I was wondering how the training is and how things are going in this area. They said I could be bumped to Villa Grove. I was curious how big of a chance there was of being bumped. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regardless of being bumped when I'm done training I'm really excited to get going and get out there. This is my dream job and am ready to see where this goes. Thanks in advance for any info and advice.
 #1283685  by catfish63755

I don't know about crew strength and where they're needing conductors, when I interviewed they said they were working a lot of crews in and out of Dupo.
 #1283805  by qboy

You should expect to be bumped around especially in your early yrs with the railroad cause your seniority will be low. I have 15yr of seniority and I still get bumped on occasion so get used to it. You need to keep in mind that Salem Il is part of the St. Louis Service Unit which covers part of Illinois, Missouri. So if your seniority allows U may end up in Salem or Villa Grove, or any terminal that is part of the St. Louis SU. You will learn some of this once U start class and training. In the interview process that don't give U all that info. I myself am part of the UP Chicago SVU working Metra Commuter service. Good luck and just be prepared for that possibility of traveling to work possibly if U can't hold Salem.