Railroad Forums 

• UP switcher Alco S-2 question please help

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#918452  by stefanuccio

Hi
I have recently started to collect models of UP locomotives
I have a switcher ALCO S-2 in a yellow/grey livery with red numbers 1151 and the logo
DEPENDABLE TRANPORTATION on both sides of the cab
I collect mostly diesels locomotives of the period 1961-62
Can someone please tell me if this type of locomotive could have been found in service with this livery/logo by this time period?
Thank you very much in advance for your reply
stefano
 #919263  by John_Perkowski

You're in good shape. S-2s, according to one UP book I had, were on the property until 1968-71 depending on the specific unit.

Number is in the range; units were 1100-1153.
 #919430  by Allen Hazen

George Elwood's "Fallen Flags" rail image WWWebsite,
http://rr-fallenflags.org/
is a great resource. Stefanuccio's question provides a test case: in its Union Pacific section, "Fallen Flags" has four images of S-2 in the 1950s/1960s (one from 1956, the others late 1960s). (One feature of the site that enhances its usefulness for questions like this: in the indexes, many images have dates!)

Interestingly, they show four different cab-side slogans: "Dependable Transportation," "Road of the Streamliners," "Serves all the West," and "Don't be curt, be courteous."

I don't KNOW if any Union Pacific Alco switcher ever said "Buy U.S. Savings Bonds" or "Support the United Way," but if I saw one on a model layout with such a slogan I wouldn't immediately think it implausible!
 #920750  by stefanuccio

Hi Guys
thanks very much for your reply and link
The alco S-2 model i have has strange red/white stripes at the front and back lower side i guess this safety stripes should have been white/grey
I dont think this type of loco ever belonged to UPY as the retired much earlier in time
Is there any explanation for this red/white stripes?
thanks again
stefano
 #921303  by Allen Hazen

Can't say anything about the striping-- I don't really know U.P. very well--but you're right about about UPY: U.P. only started using the UPY reporting marks for some of its smaller power after the megamergers, when its total locomotive roster was around 7000. When they retired their last Alco switchers (earlier than less prosperous roads) they were still just the "historic" Union Pacific, with fewer than 1500 locomotives: plenty of room to give them all four-digit (or less) numbers in a single series.