Railroad Forums 

• UP Siuox City question

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#498268  by anydaynow

I have tested and qualified for upcoming hiring sessions in Boone and Sioux City. I understand Boone is backed up now. How about Sioux City..is that a good place to go in? Would I be stuck there permanately? How far could I wander. Is it a large district out of Sioux City? Would it be yard work? Is Boone in the same district? From what I can tell Sioux City would be a great place to live. Do these questions belong in the employment forum?Thank you.
 #498467  by b372_xt04

[quote="anydaynow"] Would I be stuck there permanately?[/quote="anydaynow"]

Yes!....definately hire out where you want to stay for a long time! the u.p. transfer proscess is a joke!

#498524  by GOLDEN-ARM

Welcome aboard, both of you guys! (big-ups to B-372/LS-372) As mentioned, there really isn't any way to transfer. Without system seniority, you can always ask for a transfer, and lose ALL of your seniority, and start all over, as a new guy, OR, you could wait forever, in the hopes someone might make a seniority swap with you. This would mean, for some bizarre reason, that someone would rather be in Iowa, than where they originally hired out........ Seniority swaps never seem to work, as someone is always on the "short end" of the deal. :(

#499009  by cnw6922

I grew up in Sioux City (Sewer City to us) but it was the CNW then. Crew district was north to St James, MN, south to Council Bluffs, IA. Locals where the Port Neal switch and the Dakota City switch. I'm not sure how much the UP has changed the districts but the crew change is still in St. James and I believe crews also run to Fremont from SC now.

As for a good place to live, its alright but not paradise. Its definitely changed from when I grew up there. Lots of Mexican gang activity to help pass those boring humid summer nights.

RDM
http://www.railfanrails.com/