Railroad Forums 

• UP Jobs

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1200042  by rlatta

Hi all,

I'm a civil engineering undergrad and will be graduating next spring. I'm looking at applying for the UP Operations Management Training program. Does anyone have any experience at UP? Specifically in the engineering management?

Do you enjoy working at UP? Is it rewarding/bearable?
 #1231558  by vader33

I guess I'll be the one to bring this dead post to life, haha. My advice is to apply for the different management training programs UP offers. They're held twice a year, usually in the spring and fall. Apply for all of them, whether it's in transportation, operations, engineering, or mechanical. You may also want to apply for the conductor training program as well. I'm a diesel electrician and I've been with the company a little over 2 years. It's a great company to work for, but getting used to different shifts might be tough. Keep in mind that nearly 90% of the jobs with UP (and pretty much every other RR) aren't of the standard 9-5 Monday thru Friday gig, even for management. I know for certain that the transportation managers work the same odd shifts as the rest of us, and I would assume the same goes for the other departments.