Railroad Forums 

• UP Heritage locos

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#545034  by Tom6921

I've been thinking about this off and on, but what would UP do if one of the Heritage locomotives (i.e. 1982, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1995, and 1996) was wrecked in an accident and couldn't be rebuilt? Would UP paint another SD70ACe to replace the unit? Hopefully we won't find out.
 #1547325  by Pensyfan19

I have obtained saddening news about the C&NW heritage unit... :-(

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCRx-bgHGbi ... dl7qjxq5va
UP 1995 is stored unserviceable at Ft Worth, TX. Details are it shut down under load and will not restart, has cooling fan issues, electrical issues and computer issues. Unit will most likely be scrapped. Unknown if UP will allocate an additional SD70ACe to replace 1995
 #1547361  by eolesen

While all of the heritage's SD70ACe's are approaching 15 years old, keep in mind that both 2001 and 2002 are still out there after 19 years. If it were actually damaged beyond economic repair, it would probably wind up in a museum before it would be scrapped.
 #1547435  by Backshophoss

These Heritage units were used to "defend"UP's copyrights to various model and souvenir manufacturers to enforce license agreements
 #1547542  by eolesen

True, but they were also a nod to the employees from those railroads.

Today, there are far fewer people left on the active UP roster who started at MoPac, MKT, DRGW or WP, which all took place in the 1980's.

The CNW and SP mergers took place in 1995 and 1996 respectively, so anyone from those would now have 24+ years seniority. I'd be willing to say that as a group hold far less attachment to their prior road than 15 years ago when the fleet was rolled out and those mergers were only 10 years in the past.
 #1547846  by Pensyfan19

I'm hearing that UP will use one of their Tier 4 SD70AHs to replace UP 1995. Can anyone confirm this?