Railroad Forums 

• UP cookbook?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1215457  by Freddy

You guys are something else. The most railroad guys I've seen in one place since my time on the forum. Needs to happen more often.
 #1222882  by wolfman

in regards to shovels and the use of.yes we did do the business on them(hence the term goes like sh.t off a hot shovel), which is why you steam cleaned it before cooking with it,and every good fireman made sure there was a spare shovel on board, it was all too easy to lose one in the firebox.
 #1228777  by Engineer Spike

CP has hot plates on the engines. Which had a conductor who was famous for his extravagant Italian dinners. He would use the burners on several units, running between them to tend to the feast.We were only missing a bottle of wine. lol

Once I soaked corn on the cob, then wrapped it in foil. I put it in the v on top of an EMD 645. After 2 hours it was Done. I have also cooked bangers and mash on the diesel prime mover.

The angled space between the heat exchanger and expansion tank is a good cooking surface too.
 #1235833  by 25Hz

That paper towel trick is good for anything you don't want to get wet, including pasta, desserts like brownies or cake/pie. When i store leftover pasta in a bowl in the fridge, i always make sure to put double layer of paper towel then foil, towels get moist, prevents the condensation from dripping all over. Another trick is to freeze the bread, then take it out and wrap it in paper towel and let it thaw in the cooler, usually takes about 3 hours, but it works. Thaws in about an hour at room temp... :)