Railroad Forums 

• UP and BNSF safety rules

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#5498  by TheAngryBrakeman

For you guys that are or did go through UP and BNSF training classes, do either of these railroads require safety glasses and/or vests while you're at work? I know Norfolk Southern requires safety glasses to be permanetly attached to your head at all times or you're out of service and CP requires safety glasses and a huge orange vest. Makes me glad I work for a regional where we have big power and big trains but not the same crazy safety rules.

#5844  by Ken W2KB

Why is wearing PPE crazy?

#5896  by TheAngryBrakeman

It's just annoying because we don't wear it on our own railroad and most guys I talk to on NS hate wearing their stuff, especially if you wear glasses. Some guys get prescription safety glasses, those could be good, but I only use mine when I'm on NS or CP property so I have to wear these bulky safety glasses that distort my vision and make it dangerous when I'm moving around the yard looking out for moving cars and gang members hiding in the cars.

As for the vests, if they fit well they are only annoying, but where I work you're a big orange target at night for the people in the houses along the railroad.

Railroads operated for over 100 years without safety glasses and orange reflective vests, but everything changes I guess.

#6161  by wildbill

Years ago I learned the hard way about safety glasses in the emergency room.Having objects removed from my eyes is something I am trying to avoid the rest of my days.I agree on wearing vests they are a pain in the a$$,we wear orange hardhats instead.

#6492  by aprr454

Whats more annoying, wearing safety glasses or learning to walk with a blind cane and a seeing eye dog? And not seeing your kids or anything else the rest of your days.

#6709  by steemtrayn

These are the same guys who drive down the highway with their seat belts hanging out the door making sparks on the pavement.

PPE

#10465  by slchub

The SLC unit for the UP has implemented a new florecent green armband for the new-hires, which they will wear for 5 years. Much better than the orange safety vests which tends to get caught on eqpt. I agree with the glasses, however, the damn earplugs have got to go. I like to hear what is going on around me. Sometimes you can't hear a loco or shove of cars coming up behind you on an adjacent track. But, I guess that is why they have a safety rules which states employees shall be aware of all movement of cars and eqpt around them at all times.

#10563  by foundsheep

I just started class on Monday for UP and they gave us the vest.

PPE

#11106  by Engineer Spike

I wear glasses anyway. I just don't like them when it rains. The solution to this is to wear a hat with a visor. I work for CP and have to wear a vest. The first ones were liek you se for roadway flaggers. The new ones are more like jackets. They fit better, and don't get snag things as easily. The best part is that they have a radio holster on the chest. I like this because the radio belts always pushed down my pants, and pulled out my shirt. This is not good when you start getting a cold draft.
The reflective gear is good. We have all been surprised while working near a main track.

#11855  by TheAngryBrakeman

<<The new ones are more like jackets. They fit better, and don't get snag things as easily. The best part is that they have a radio holster on the chest.>>

Wow I'd like top get one of those, I didn't like the old vest either.

<<The best part is that they have a radio holster on the chest. I like this because the radio belts always pushed down my pants, and pulled out my shirt.>>

lol, I agree!