Railroad Forums 

• UP/AAR Load Shifting Boxcar

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1073590  by TrainWatcher

I was watching a video called "225,000 Mile Proving Ground" put out by AAR in 1953, shows an interesting boxcar used by the AAR with the help of Union Pacific to show how loads shifted during yarding movements including when coupled to other cars at various speeds. The car is a former boxcar, with a silver frame, and Plexiglass sides to observe the loads as they shift as well as a force meter on the side of the car. In the video the car has UP Markings and I was wondering what happened to it as it seems quite an interesting car to maybe someday attempt to model.

In this YouTube segment the car is shown at 2:00 minute mark.
http://youtu.be/VSwXtzIRG2U
 #1083398  by v8interceptor

TrainWatcher wrote:I was watching a video called "225,000 Mile Proving Ground" put out by AAR in 1953, shows an interesting boxcar used by the AAR with the help of Union Pacific to show how loads shifted during yarding movements including when coupled to other cars at various speeds. The car is a former boxcar, with a silver frame, and Plexiglass sides to observe the loads as they shift as well as a force meter on the side of the car. In the video the car has UP Markings and I was wondering what happened to it as it seems quite an interesting car to maybe someday attempt to model.

In this YouTube segment the car is shown at 2:00 minute mark.
http://youtu.be/VSwXtzIRG2U
IIRC, there was a model of this test car offered at one time. I have a hazy memory of seeing an ad for it in on of the Model Railroading publication (either MRR or RMC) sometime back in the late 1970's or early 1980's...
 #1083688  by umtrr-author

I'll admit that I didn't watch the video (yet), but there was a model of one of these type of cars done as a Micro-Trains Special Run by the N Scale Collector some years ago. It's still a sought after item; it wasn't cheap at its offering price, and still beats that most of the time on eBay and elsewhere.