Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1505129  by DutchRailnut

actually there is a 108, just released from brookville .
as part of overhaul program MN bought two lets call them derelict GP35's #107 and #108.
 #1511929  by Sisko24

For the second time this week, I saw two Amtrak locos along with an Amfleet coach on Metro-North. On Tuesday, they were just south of the University Heights station. Tonight, they were seen crossing the Harlem River drawbridge.

Does anyone know why they were on Metro-North? Can it be Amtrak is doing training/familiarization runs in anticipation of switching Empire Service back to Grand Central as they did last summer?
 #1511931  by GirlOnTheTrain

I saw it at Spuyten Duyvil last week, I asked around and as far as anyone knows there is no planned diversion at the moment, but they want to keep qualifications up in case they need to be diverted there for any sort of emergency reroute - such as the swing bridge being stuck open or something.
 #1511948  by Sisko24

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:44 pm I saw it at Spuyten Duyvil last week, I asked around and as far as anyone knows there is no planned diversion at the moment, but they want to keep qualifications up in case they need to be diverted there for any sort of emergency reroute - such as the swing bridge being stuck open or something.
Thank you.
 #1515798  by NaugyRR

I can't believe these are getting rebuilt already, that makes me feel old. I'm not crazy about the new CTRail scheme on them, I think I liked the simplified McGinnis scheme better.