Railroad Forums 

• Unknown Wye Structure

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#844775  by gprimr1

I was examining some maps and I discovered what appears to be a very old wye on the NEC.

39° 1'53.11"N
76°45'12.50"W

What structure was this? Chesapeake Beach railway?
 #844965  by Sand Box John

"gprimr1"
I was examining some maps and I discovered what appears to be a very old wye on the NEC.

39° 1'53.11"N
76°45'12.50"W

What structure was this? Chesapeake Beach railway?

That's part of the abandoned trackage that use to go into the Bowie Race track. The PRR use to run passenger service during race meet, the track was also used for receiving and delivery of horses to and from the track.

When I use to bet on the ponies at Bowie back in the 1970s there was rail still in place in the parking lot behind the clubhouse.

Looks like some of the track is still in place: bing.com aerial view
 #845152  by BaltOhio

I believe this was built in 1935 or shortly thereafter, in order to substitute for the service of the abandoned Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis interurban line, which had exclusively served the racetrack until 1935. The PRR used the WB&A's storage yard at the track.
 #845305  by Sand Box John

"BaltOhio"
I believe this was built in 1935 or shortly thereafter, in order to substitute for the service of the abandoned Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis interurban line, which had exclusively served the racetrack until 1935. The PRR used the WB&A's storage yard at the track.

That part of the story I was unaware of. I knew the Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis passed the track but was not aware they provided service to the track.
 #845702  by Mike Doughney

If you follow that Bing aerial view to the northwest, you'll see the remains of a bridge over a stream, and rails in the pavement of the driveway to the adjacent water treatment plant. About 15 years ago I followed some of that track into the woods, and the rails were still in place with trees growing between the ties. Anybody know when the spur was abandoned for good?
 #845740  by Sand Box John

"Mike Doughney"
If you follow that Bing aerial view to the northwest, you'll see the remains of a bridge over a stream, and rails in the pavement of the driveway to the adjacent water treatment plant. About 15 years ago I followed some of that track into the woods, and the rails were still in place with trees growing between the ties. Anybody know when the spur was abandoned for good?

What you saw 15 years ago is pretty much what I saw 10 years earlier when I went to the track to see the horses run. As to when the spur was abandoned, your guess is as good as mine. These USGS maps from 1943 shown the spur still active, they were modified in 1979, the Odenton quadrangle has a Conrail label on it, The Laural quadrangle has a PC label on it. Mind you USGS maps are notorious for not labeling abandoned railroad rights of way as abandoned until decades after the fact.
 #845877  by CarterB

If you look at N 39.01041 W 76.74495, you will find the other wye and tail track just to the west of the track.
Looks like there was a seven track yard at one time. If...those were the old WB&A tracks, would be interesting if someone in area could look to see rail manufacturer and date info. Could well be some of the oldest 'in place' rail left in US.

From the WB&A"

"The Race Track Spur, connecting the Penn line at Lemons Bridge to the WB&A and to the Bowie Race Track, now serves as an ATV trail"
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington ... ic_Railway
 #846176  by Sand Box John

"CarterB"
If you look at N 39.01041 W 76.74495, you will find the other wye and tail track just to the west of the track.
Looks like there was a seven track yard at one time. If...those were the old WB&A tracks, would be interesting if someone in area could look to see rail manufacturer and date info. Could well be some of the oldest 'in place' rail left in US.

I would hazard a guess you could find some stuff somewhere that's older. I found one stick of the rail on the abandoned Chesapeake & Atlantic railroad line in front of the Hebron Station Hebron Maryland with a mill mark that read November 1911. I saw stick of rail on an active track in Mojave Yard in Mojave California back in fall of 1990 that had an 1880 something mill mark on it.
 #856506  by gprimr1

Interesting.

I love finding little treats on aerial maps :)