Railroad Forums 

• Unknown Rail line in Westford or Graniteville

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#264362  by MEC407

Not sure, but here's a cool view of Iron Horse Park:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ene=213415
 #558531  by oldrr

Sir, that rr line is the line running from the Stony Brook to the Fletcher Quarry.

My understanding is that the railroad is used mainly by the quarry for their internal operations.

When last checked in the past year or so they were still connected to the Stony Brook with a trailing point switch if you are heading in a westerly direction.

This link may provide some interesting information.

http://www.fletchergranite.com/AboutFle ... istory.asp
 #559243  by jbvb

Perhaps a year ago, I recall reading that Fletcher was rehabilitating their rail line, though I haven't heard of anything actually being shipped using it yet. This was where B&M 410, the 0-6-0 now in Lowell, sat derelict for 30 +/- years before it was rescued and cosmetically restored.
 #559295  by oldrr

The line looks good in the many places where it is viewable. Just beyond the turnout from the Stony Brook you'll see a lot of cuts in the ties apparently from derailments. There is also a siding down there, long enough to make the line at that point appear double tracked.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't get service if they wanted it.

The only activity I have heard of without a double is there internal operations from one side of route 40 I think it is to the other.

Local.live.com allows you to follow the line in great detail, see at least one of their engines and offers a nice view of the quarry.

I can't quite understand the placement of the derail. It's close to the turnout, the track goes downhill. Even if the car or cars are derailed, there is a very good chance that they will foul the Stony Brook.
 #560084  by oldrr

You're welcome, that's good to hear, maybe they'll do more rail service.

Look around with local.live.com and you'll be able to see the entire line plus get an idea of how they use it.

There was an article in the B&M Bulletin not too long ago about the Quarry. They are a railroad in their own right and use the railroad to bring granite across the road to where they work on it mainly plus they have their connection to the outside world.

The aerial photos showed an engine near the back of one of the buildings.

Local.live.com is a good way to explore lines and see where the consignees are and were.

The Newington NH branch is particularly interesting when viewed from above. In many places it's very difficult or impossible to get in and look at the track without trespassing so the overhead view is the best way to go.

Have a nice weekend.

BTW, you can use a screen capture program to grab pictures that you may want to keep from local.live.
 #593252  by RedLantern

NellsChoo wrote:I still don't get why they upgraded that Fletcher siding and never use it. I'd think Fletcher would want to export their stone far and wide!

JD
I worked for Fletcher's Quarry a few years ago, what I heard is that since their primary stone cutting mill is in Westford, that they were planning on shipping granite in from other quarries that they own to Westford for processing. Currently, the Westford quarry is putting out more than they expected it to, so they haven't had a need for it yet.

From the conversation I had with someone, it seems that the line was rebuilt for future use since the longer it sat abandoned, the more encroachment issues that would come up.

They still haven't placed any new sinage at the Brookside Road crossing (next to Willows pizza & seafood). They put the circular yellow (RXR) advance signs up, but currently the only thing marking the crossing itself is a piece of rail sticking out of the ground with half of an old style wooden crossbuck. I remember that up until sometime in the 90's there were still modern crossbucks there on posts, even with the crossing paved over.
 #688518  by Hux

I remember a few years ago that This Old House was doing some project that required special cutting of granite and they sent (or got) their stone to/from Fletchers. I recall they stated the place ran three shifts, which I though was amazing. Great place to use as a prototype for a model railroad.
 #701424  by lcrprez

I have seen pictures of fletchers quarry probably around the early 1900's and they used to have rail running on trustles all the way around the quarry walls. In one picture there was a steam engine pulling up or bringin down 2 empty hoppers on a real steep grade on one of the walls. Here is a preasent day aerial of one of the old trustles, long since torn down. If you look in the top of the photo you can see the fletcher switcher working internally.http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1