Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1475232  by jhdeasy

Amtrak's latest assault on their private car business customers is a new switching charge within the Washington DC (WAS) terminal, which has been implemented with no prior notice to car owners, AAPRCO or RPCA, and was not included in their 5/01/2018 update to their private car tariff rates. Several of us car owners have received differing stories from Amtrak's CNOC as to when it applies, and when it does not apply. It appears to apply whenever a PV is switched onto or off a thru train at WAS, any time of the day, and day of the week. The charge is approximately $850 per switch move, which is supposed to represent the cost of calling a 3 person switch crew to perform the switching move.

This new switching charge will have a negative impact on many potential private car trips. The PV owner hit hardest by this new charge will be Washington DC Chapter NRHS, as it would apply to just about any of their trips from WAS, except trips on trains 29/30 (and temporarily on trains 50/51), which originate and terminate at WAS. Going to/from New York, Boston, Newport News, Richmond, Savannah, Charlotte, New Orleans or Miami, you will pay to be switched on/off a thru train at WAS.

It looks like I will be exposed to 2 of these switching charges at WAS during a MOUNT VERNON trip later this month.
 #1475239  by ExCon90

This relates to a similar situation discussed in the Philadelphia forum: is Amtrak subject to any specific provisions regarding advance notice of changes that would prevent "overnight" increases? Passenger railroads subject to the Interstate Commerce Act had to comply with very specific regulations involving rate changes. It seems possible that where Amtrak is concerned the "tariff" functions as an "offer," and a request to transport a PV constitutes "acceptance." If there is nothing in the tariff preventing changes without prior notice, is there any recourse?
 #1475264  by John_Perkowski

jhdeasy wrote:It looks like I will be exposed to 2 of these switching charges at WAS during a MOUNT VERNON trip later this month.
Jack: Ouch.
 #1475324  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote:
jhdeasy wrote:It looks like I will be exposed to 2 of these switching charges at WAS during a MOUNT VERNON trip later this month.
Jack: Ouch.
Now CNOC says Washington Terminal wants 4 separate switch crews (4 crews @ $850 = $3400) to handle MOUNT VERNON. First crew from train 79 to the wye to layover. Second crew from layover to train 29 a few hours later. A week later, Third crew from train 50 to overnight layover. Fourth crew from layover to train 20.

I can’t understand why the first crew can’t do from train 79 to the wye and then directly onto the rear of train 29 at Ivy City.
 #1475601  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity

CHAPEL HILL on train 448 (08) from ALB to BOS; return on train 449 (10) from BOS to ALB.

NYC 3 on train 43 (09) from NYP to PGH; expected return on train 42 (10) from PGH to NYP.
 #1476051  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity

CHAPEL HILL on train 449(15) from ALB to CHI, then on train 3(17) from CHI to LAX. This the first two segments of a cross-country circle trip.

MOUNT VERNON on train 79(15) from NYP to WAS, then on train 29(15) from WAS to CHI, then on train 301(18) from CHI to STL.
Last edited by jhdeasy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1476061  by Tadman

jhdeasy wrote:PV photo opportunity

CHAPEL HILL on train 448 (08) from ALB to BOS; return on train 449 (10) from BOS to ALB.

NYC 3 on train 43 (09) from NYP to PGH; expected return on train 42 (10) from PGH to NYP.

Meant to post the same, after arriving on 30 from Chicago, I saw her on the back of The Pennsylvanian.
 #1476343  by rhallock

While in Beacon, NY on MN's Hudson line on Thurs June 14th, I saw a most unusual Amtrak train. It was a "push and pull" train. A Maryland MARC car (#1753 I think) was leading, followed by Amtrak engine #710, followed by several Amfleet cars. This was southbound past Beacon about 1:05 PM. It was only going about 20 to 25 mph.
 #1476367  by nomis

rhallock, that is a new "normal" sighting on the Empire trains servicing Grand Central. Read here for more info.
 #1476394  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed 381 (16) this morning; normal P-42 led four car consist.

Today, the 20th Century Railroad Club is sponsoring an excursion to the Galesburg Railroad Days. Not my cup of tea considering the 95dg weather around these parts.

But I thought there was some chance they would have had a "PV" or two on there. I don’t know if that outfit has any of their own, but possibly they leased a Dome or other car from Ellis.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1476395  by Gilbert B Norman

rhallock wrote: A Maryland MARC car (#1753 I think) was leading, followed by Amtrak engine #710, followed by several Amfleet cars. .
Perhaps someone following this discussion might disagree, but if Mr. Hallock's observation was properly reported, to have a leased Cab Car leading a normal Empire consist, such would represent an unusual sighting.
 #1476438  by John_Perkowski

chuchubob wrote:Train 79 (15) Carolinian had PV MOUNT VERNON on the rear.
Telephoto going away.
She is safely parked in Chicago for the night. She's almost under the Roosevelt Road viaduct, on the second track out from the shop building, in the superliner coach yard

Photo courtesy Mr Deasy's chef, Tom Coughlin.
Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.12 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
 #1476503  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote:
chuchubob wrote:Train 79 (15) Carolinian had PV MOUNT VERNON on the rear.
Telephoto going away.
She is safely parked in Chicago for the night. She's almost under the Roosevelt Road viaduct, on the second track out from the shop building, in the superliner coach yard

Photo courtesy Mr Deasy's chef, Tom Coughlin.
Although Superliners predominate, there are also some Amfleet, Horizon and Heritage cars here in the Chicago coach yard.

I noted 3 Heritage cars (two baggage cars and a former NP diner), presumably still used as axle count cars on the shorter distance trains on CN/IC.

The car partially visible in the photo is the former Great Northern lightweight sleeper SKYKOMISH RIVER. It is now some type of track inspection car identified as NCGX 391 with Amtrak private car number 800503. Another sign says NXTRACK and one says NXGEN Rail - A Sasser Family Holdings Company.

http://www.nxgenrail.com