Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific Train Crew - Los Angeles

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1249375  by wizardvern

I have an approved application for Train Crew LA. I realize it could be a while or never until I get the hiring session invite. I've already passed their reading test with 100 for another terminal that I declined to keep LA hopes alive. If you didn't pass that test you should be ashamed, it's very easy. If you don't know already, accepting a hiring invite to any terminal wipes your other apps off UP.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the current climate at UP in the Los Angeles terminal in regards to: Amount of work and projected amount of work, if new hires are actually working, how long it takes to even get "bad" road jobs, where most work is i.e. DTLA, Industry, Long Beach, colton, how toxic/non-toxic the relationship between train crews and mgmt is at the moment. All I seem to read about UP is they're horrible want to fire you. Seems like waste to train people to fire. BNSF LA has had my app for over 6 weeks and has not said no yet (BNSF's online skills test is much longer and more tedious - but still rather easy). I'm wondering if there are any UP LA terminal people that aren't super grumpy, that want to fill me in. Ok, even if you're grumpy you can fill me in too. Just know I've worked in commercial diving -imagine an unpredictable schedule, jerk bosses, icy water with sharks! There seems to be more recent stuff on here about BNSF LA (which sounds grim) than UP LA. Thanks very much.