Railroad Forums 

• Union Carbide, Niagara Falls

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1413297  by nydepot

Anyone on this board familiar with where this was located and what the full extent of the industrial campus was?

I know that the long buildings with the arrow were the original UC. I also know that the area had other companies (NIacet is one), including areas to the north of the map that were purchased early on by UC, so the scope of the UC trackage was expanded. They were served by the Niagara Junction and maybe the NYC (and Erie?) early on. And they eventually grew to have their own railroad, much like Kodak Park.

Anyone have a map showing the full extent of Union Carbide. BTW, that's 47th running N-S on the map. That's one NJ yard on the far right.

Thanks,

Charles
28989-T1968.png
 #1413837  by SST

I know this doesn't answer your question but I was riding my bike in this area during the summer. I don't know where I was relative to the map above but it was fascinating. A lot of trackage is gone, some abandoned but some still in use. I stood in wonder trying to imagine what it must have been like at "full speed."