Railroad Forums 

• Ulead Videostudio

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#407275  by MEC407

JhnZ33 wrote:And just how do you burn to DVD?
Well, I've never tried that. But if I was going to, I'd probably have to use a different program. I don't think the version of Windows Movie Maker that comes with Windows XP has DVD authoring capabilities. The newer version that comes with Windows Vista may have those capabilities, though.

I have a somewhat older version of Roxio Easy Media Creator that does have some basic DVD authoring capabilities (which I haven't tried yet). I purchased it a year ago for about $20 and it's still very functional, even though it's not the latest-and-greatest version. Right now I just use it for performing data backup onto DVDs and for burning music CDs.

I could probably edit my videos with WMM and then burn to DVD with EMC. I'll have to try it some time.

#408243  by railfilm

NS59 wrote:Well I've tried just about everything up to this point, including all the settings. I got no response from the ULEAD people. For a $100+ product its pretty sad. If anyone out there is thinking of a video editing program STAY AWAY FROM ULEAD. Can anyone recommend another product so I can throw this thing in the trash.

Dave
Hi,

I use ULEAD since many years (from version 8) now I use VS 10+ and I have no quality problems even for some TV stations was the result of my films OK.

Perhaps you missadjusted your MPEG convertor (in the ULEAD Tools) and you can use also double conversion (time consuming) for even better results. Do not forget the original quality must be very high and noise free to achieve good results in MPEG format. This is very often the reason of degradation.

The reason why I choose ULEAD some years ago as their technical support (here in Europe) was excellent in comparison to other manufacturers (even for higher price). I never had to wait more than 2 days for technical support reply and it was in most cases very competent.

Now I edit on ULEAD already HD format and the result is quite good.

#474805  by NS59

what do you mean by misjudged my MPEG converter. I have got it so it looks great in the project mode. It does not degrade unitl the preview mode just before you burn the disk.

I tried using nero instead & it turned out great, even though the preview was of the same quality as the Ulead version.

Could it be that the Ulead Mpeg converter just plain stinks or am i doing something wrong?

#474832  by railfilm

It is difficult to give you some help without more detailed knowledge about your setting. If you open the DVD writer in ULEAD there are 3 buttons on the lower left corner, check them and tell me what is there.

It can be also in conflict with another DVD burning program, however I have also the NERO on my computer, but I was quite satisfied with the picture quality of the ULEAD.

Another question how much you write to a single DVD? I never write more than 60 minutes to a 4.7 GB disk.

If you see unstability in the picture perhaps it has something to do with the video settings- some cameras mix together DV signals once with odd field first in another caes even field first - in such case you can get picture instability and you have to push ULEAD to force even field first (Preferences F6 in the middle - default is picture depend).

I hope it helps

#474833  by railfilm

It is difficult to give you some help without more detailed knowledge about your setting. If you open the DVD writer in ULEAD there are 3 buttons on the lower left corner, check them and tell me what is there.

It can be also in conflict with another DVD burning program, however I have also the NERO on my computer, but I was quite satisfied with the picture quality of the ULEAD.

Another question how much you write to a single DVD? I never write more than 60 minutes to a 4.7 GB disk.

If you see unstability in the picture perhaps it has something to do with the video settings- some cameras mix together DV signals once with odd field first in another caes even field first - in such case you can get picture instability and you have to push ULEAD to force even field first (Preferences F6 in the middle - default is picture depend).

I hope it helps

#474875  by NS59

MPEG files
24 bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
Frame-based
(DVD-NTSC), 4:3
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 7000 kbps)
Audio data rate: 256 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio, 48 KHz, 2/0(L,R)
MPEG files
Frame-based

This is what it shows in two of the three buttons. the third is merely either 4:3 or 16:9.

I am only burning less than 4.7 GB so that is not the problem

The stuff looks good on Nero so it must not be the camera

Also, I just got an e-mail from a friend that questions ULEADS authoring program in video studio & says prephaps i should by the nero program.

Any ideas?

#474876  by NS59

MPEG files
Frame-based
MPEG files
Frame-based

This is what it shows in two of the three buttons. the third is merely either 4:3 or 16:9.

I am only burning less than 4.7 GB so that is not the problem

The stuff looks good on Nero so it must not be the camera

Also, I just got an e-mail from a friend that questions ULEADS authoring program in video studio & says prephaps i should by the nero program.

Any ideas?

#475058  by railfilm

Hi

the parameters look to me OK - I will check in the afternoon on my own PC, however I do not work in NTSC so perhaps they will be slightly different in PAL.

What is the exact way when you create your DVD?.

I usually create a VIDEO for DVD ( in corresponding format) and then I go to the DVD burning in ULEAD and clean the time line (no videos there) and then browse for the video (with .mpg extension) I created and add it again to the time-line.

#475106  by NS59

I have the final in .avi format in the timeline & create a video file in the .avi format. I then go through the authoring steps in the create disc menu. should a create the video file in the DVD format instead of as an .avi file?

From what i understand MPEG2 is not the best & Nero uses something better to create the .vob files.

I could not find any other method in the "create disc" option other than .MPG.

#475118  by railfilm

That is perhaps wrong.

The DVD can carry only MPEG files (does not matter whether you make them with NERO or other convertors).
There are differences but those are very small as MPEG itself my differ from picture to picture.

For that reason the straigthforward method in my praxis to create an MPEG file (DVD VIDEO 4:3 or 16:9) those files are saved on your HDD with extension *.mpg.

These files you can open (prior to copy them to DVD and check the quality). You can copy with NERO, or the ULEAD (etc) to DVD and you can of course create your menus.

In the authoring program you simple add vidoe files (mpg) frokm your HDD and work as usual with your menus.