Railroad Forums 

• U36B Brakes

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#238820  by railrob

We have aquired an GE U36B , of note we are unable to find the parking brake . No ratchet, no wheel. Photos show a wheel that was in place on the nose as delivered. There is a bolted panel where it was. I have seen pics of CSX U36Bs with this type of set up. Did CSX try something different like electronic application? Any ideas where the parking brake is?
Thanks,

#239371  by U-Haul

Is a parking brake needed? Will setting the locomotive brake not work?
Last edited by U-Haul on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#239434  by *istDS

For the uninitiated, the device in question is called a hand brake.

Every piece of roliing stock, locomotive, freight or passenger car is equipped with a hand brake. FRA required.

GE offers an electric hand brake on both new locos and as a retrofit.

The lack of such a device is odd.

#239497  by GN 599

Yep gotta have one. Maybe it has an electric one. Sometimes the switch can be found inside the cab.

#239553  by DutchRailnut

Electric or Hand, one clue would be to follow the chain from truck up into carbody, one end is connected to Brake gear other should be connected to some kind of operating mechanism.

#239695  by railrob

I would asume that having the batteries removed renders the electronic hand brake useless?

#239746  by DutchRailnut

no electronic , there may be electric but I assume there is hand brake(manual) inside the nose.

#239749  by UPRR engineer

I cant believe this topic!!!!!!?

#239774  by railrob

We have had an engineer, now a manager,( that could be the problem) who has been over every inch of that thing and tells us the hand brake is not there and looks like it was removed. ???

#239787  by DutchRailnut

Ok back to the chain, is there a chain at front truck brake rigging ?????
If so what is it attached to ???
FRA does not allow movement or interchange of units without a hand or parking brake so there got to be one somewhere. what is history of the unit ??
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=109313

#239849  by railrob

It has been a shop queen for more than a few years. It was photoed on the River Line recently. The loco went to another state from where we are first, so we have not inspected it yet. The yard it is in is more than slightly amazed and called us to find out where the hand brake is. Hence the weekend post. The pics sent show the lead truck, engineers side having no chain or hose where the chain rode in. The trucks were out from under it to remove the traction motors before it moved. So that is our suituation.

#239864  by DutchRailnut

If it has no handbrake it can not be moved simple as that.
only way around it would be to give it a mate with a handbrake and orders not to seperate them , this could be a freight car or other engine.
But under FRA rules it can not be shipped without a handbrake.

#240638  by railrob

Thanks for all the answers. Lots of "ah"s have been muttered in phone calls the past few days.The last words from a FLA city was "very embrased".

#240735  by PortoAmboim

My railroad has on at least one occasion moved a heavily damaged locomotives with no operating air or hand brake. Details of the movement were circulated to just about everyone well before it happened, and when the loco was moved it was at reduced speed, coupled AND chained to the hauling locomotive, and to a trailing freight car, which in turn was followed by several more freight cars with operating air brakes and hand brakes.

#240758  by DutchRailnut

correct and a move like that can only be made to nearest shop where temporary or permanent repairs can be made.