Railroad Forums 

• U.P. Business Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#32858  by Steam

Any more on the rumored visit of the UP Business Train to Boston during the DNC? Some are saying "Yes" and others "No". Most have no idea.

#32873  by DutchRailnut

The UP bussines train would only visit the Republican convention, not Democratic convention. they visited last time in Philladelpia.
 #34166  by SnoozerZ49

Word is spreading that North Station is going to be occupied by a large number of private cars during the DNC.

The "scuttlebutt" around the railroad is that BNSF, UP, CSX, NS, GRS are going to have their office car trains positioned in North Station.

#34190  by DutchRailnut

Like I said most of these big companies are Republican suporters, so why come to democratic convention, unless these companies see the writing on the Bush wall.
 #34194  by Lincoln78

Don't forget that national companies need to play both sides of the fence.

Although Enron had ties to the current presidential administration, they gave even more "donations" to its predecessor.

#34424  by SnoozerZ49

The latest news is that the Norfolk Southern business train is going to be coming east from Selkirk on Thursday. The crew is going to be called for 3:00 pm. The BNSF train is going to be coming to Boston without its own power. It is going to be coming east on the rear of the Lake Shore Limited on the 22nd. On Friday the equipment will be moved over the Grand Junction Branch to BET and from there will be moved to North Station.

As a side note the Downeaster equipment moving to Southampton Street derailed on the Grand Junction Branch tonight around 10:30 pm or there abouts.

#34434  by joshuahouse

When you say the NS train is going east of selkirk Thursday do you mean the 15th, or the 22nd? I assume that it will go east along the Tier to Binghamton and then up CPRail?

#35353  by CSX Conductor

Snoozer, I was talking with the track gang in my area and they mentioned that derailment.....their boss told them that the engine on that set of equipment always causes problems on the Grand Jct......do you know which engine it was?

Cool spot on the Grand Jct for photos would be the pedestrian crossing behind M.I.T., so you can get part of MIT's dorm shaped like a Rubik's Cube in the background :wink:

#35462  by SnoozerZ49

Hey CSX
I don't know the engine no. that went on the ground, I'm on my way to work this afternoon and will try and get the number for you.

Do you ever work on the Grand Jct? I am not qualified over there as only South Side COnductors get a chance to work the job between Southampton St and BET. From what I have heard the trckage is in pretty rough shape! I know that the Readville Switcher really creeps along the line due to the trackage as well as all the crossings.

It would be great fun if the OCS trains spread the guage ( at low speed of course).
 #35571  by GP40MC1118

It was No.686 deadheading to Southampton Street Yard Wednesday
night. Amtrak 170 and trailing coach 44914 went off at the switch to
the west end of the passing siding down by Memorial Drive.

The 170 went completely off, but only the lead truck of the coach.
Both pieces of equipment at stored out back at the MBTA facility in
Somerville.

It was a bad week for the Downeaster service. Thursday No.684 died
at Haverhill Station and was shoved into Boston by No.686 fighting
the middle innings of the PM T rush hour.

D

#35611  by CSX Conductor

Thanks for the info Dave.. I remember hearing the track dogs spiking that switch because of problems a few weeks ago.

Snoozer, I have travelled the Grand Jct before. Usually only LB721 (conrail symbol was WABP-10) uses the Grand Jct to get back and forth between the N.E.P. and Beacon Park.

#35612  by CSX Conductor

Apparently the NS office car special is in Mass already. Perhaps they heard about CSXT's motto ..... "Yesterday's trains Tomorrow" and decided o leave a week early. lol :P

Here's a link to a shot of the NS train At Springfield, Ma. (got it from a CSXT railfan sight)

http://pages.cthome.net/pjh76/ns2616.JPG

#37165  by CSX Conductor

sorry PJ........lol

BY the way, the NS train was being moved out of Beacon Park late Thursday night (7/22)..
 #37235  by Stephen

BOTH the NS and BNSF business trains were parked behind the BET this morning. Did the BNSF train come via CSX or Guilford?
Did anyone get any pictures?
Dave, do you know when they will be pushed into North Station? I'd like to get pictures from the Gilmore bridge.
Thanks,
Stephen