Railroad Forums 

• Two Questions about Gladstone Line Services

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1343307  by bharatrao

Hello,

I live near Murray Hill.Two questions to get me started

1. What is the rationale of the 6.07pm service from Hoboken to Murray Hill? It's a local that leaves 3 min behind the 6.04 Gladstone Express. Doesn't connect to any Midtown direct service at Summit. Is overtaken by the 6.08 to Gladstone from NY Penn. In other words, not a service I would aim to make whether from Hoboken or NY Penn. is the point to provide east bound service from Murray HIll/New Prov.?
2. Around 9pm, I usually see an eastbound train (arrow cars) rush past Murray Hill...presumably empty. Does it run empty all the way back to Hob? What's the point of running it empty? Is it because there's no yard space at Gladstone for it?

Bharat
 #1343389  by nick11a

The Murray Hill Local you mentioned isn't a service aimed for the benefit of Gladstone riders. It is intended for passengers at all local stations in the way to Murray Hill, especially between Summit and Newark. Why go to Murray Hill then? Because there isn't s whole lore of room in Summit to turn trains around. Trains do turn at Summit, but this train turns at Murray Hill where there is available space and a controlled siding making it an ideal location to turn a train.

The train you mentioned at around 9 PM is a daily eastbound X train that heads back east on the branch with no passengers. The reason for this is because there is no more room to store trains in Gladstone.
 #1343401  by bharatrao

"The Murray Hill Local you mentioned isn't a service aimed for the benefit of Gladstone riders"
Agreed, though I feel like if this service (and the corresponding ex-Murray Hill service back to HOB) is time shifted by about 10 minutes (i.e. 6.17 pm from HOB instead of 6.07 pm), it's usefulness for New Providence/Murray Hill residents actually goes up - because now ex-Hoboken at least a few riders would benefit and ex-NY Penn this can provide a better connection @ Summit to the 6.20 NY Penn Dover departure (which is what you would take if you missed the 6.08 from Penn). I would imagine, there will be a few other minor knock on effects on a few other trains, but should be manageable I think especially since this "local" skips Short Hills and will thus be less of a blocker for other expresses in the Millburn-Summit section.
Because there isn't a whole lot of room in Summit to turn trains around
If turnaround capacity is the core issue, I'd love to have them turn around a NY-Penn to Summit service (such as the NY Penn 6.18 or 6.49 pm departure) @ Murray Hill.

Would it be worthwhile pursuing either of these options with NJT for consideration in their next time table?
 #1344231  by nick11a

bharatrao wrote:
"The Murray Hill Local you mentioned isn't a service aimed for the benefit of Gladstone riders"
Agreed, though I feel like if this service (and the corresponding ex-Murray Hill service back to HOB) is time shifted by about 10 minutes (i.e. 6.17 pm from HOB instead of 6.07 pm), it's usefulness for New Providence/Murray Hill residents actually goes up - because now ex-Hoboken at least a few riders would benefit and ex-NY Penn this can provide a better connection @ Summit to the 6.20 NY Penn Dover departure (which is what you would take if you missed the 6.08 from Penn). I would imagine, there will be a few other minor knock on effects on a few other trains, but should be manageable I think especially since this "local" skips Short Hills and will thus be less of a blocker for other expresses in the Millburn-Summit section.
Because there isn't a whole lot of room in Summit to turn trains around
If turnaround capacity is the core issue, I'd love to have them turn around a NY-Penn to Summit service (such as the NY Penn 6.18 or 6.49 pm departure) @ Murray Hill.

Would it be worthwhile pursuing either of these options with NJT for consideration in their next time table?
Well, it isn't all as simple as that. The Morris and Essex Line from points east to Summit is operating at about full capacity during rush hour. The three/two tracks on this section really have no more room. Shifting the Murray Hill local to a different slot can't be done without affecting the times and schedules of other trains and NJT probably won't be willing to do this. Once again, while I get your point that shifting the Murray Hill Local a bit could act as a shuttle train for passengers to New Providence and Murray Hill from Summit, it isn't the main purpose of this train and it isn't easily done. NJT likely won't be willing to play with the schedule and adjust the slots for the convenience of passengers for two stations on the Gladstone Branch. But, feel free to try in the form of the letter if you wish.

As for extending one of the "Summit" MidTOWN Direct trains to Murray Hill, that could work provided the siding was available and provided that the train isn't too long. I can't recall how many cars can fit on that particular siding, but I'm pretty sure that 8 cars and an engine is as big as it can handle. Some other sidings on the Gladstone can't handle even that.
 #1344412  by nick11a

Correction, I stopped by Murray Hill today to look at the siding. From the looks of it, I don't think it would handle a 8 car cars and an engine. You could definitely put six cars and an engine there, but for more than that, you'd probably need to do saw-bys.
 #1344958  by bharatrao

Will check.....I think the engine+8 config for midtown direct from/to Gladstone (used on 6406/6437) will just about fit on the Murray Hill siding. When it stops at MH, it is clear of the points on both sides....though I will pay attention to that next time I'm on it.