Railroad Forums 

• Two new companies entering the locomotive business

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#145228  by MEC407

I came across this article today and it mentions two "startup" companies that will be relocating to Dansville, NY soon. One of them is called American Motive Power and is said to be a rebuilder of locomotive trucks and engines. The other firm is called Advanced Engine Concepts and is said to make power production equipment for the rail and marine industries.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ ... -apnewyork

I hope this isn't considered off-topic; if it is, I apologize. I just thought it was nice to see two new companies entering what is already a very competitive industry... not to mention that it's always nice to see new blue-collar jobs being created in this country.
 #146461  by Matt Langworthy

I agree- it will be a boost for local jobs and local shortline Genesee & Wyoming RR. Since some of us who post in this forum live in upstate NY, we've been discussing it at this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 25&start=0

Since Dansville is only 45 minutes from my home (and conveniently on the route to visit my family), I can't wait to see GWRR switching the plant. For those of you not familiar with the area, Genesee & Wyoming (and predecessor Dansville & Mt. Morris) used to service this facility when boiler manufacturer Foster-Wheeler owned it. The location may be a real boon to numerous shortline railroads in uptate NY, since most of them operate with older power.

#146476  by Alcoman

Now the question begs: Who's locomotive engines do they hope to rebuild.

#146791  by ACLfan

"Whose locomotive engines do they hope to rebuild?"

Like any other service-oriented businesses, it will largely depend on their clients' needs, combined with their areas of expertise.

There are a lot of small businesses that collectively provide a wide array of locomotive repair and rebuild services to major railroads across the nation. And, the major railroads often out-source locomotive repairs to these small, but very talented operations.

Many of these small operations are owned and/or staffed by experienced personnel who used to work in the repair shops of the major railroads, and wanted an opportunity to cash in on their experience and expertise.

ACLfan

#146808  by Alcoman

Hopfully, Alco engines will be included in the plans. With over 100 Alcos in NY alone, you would think that there might be a market waiting to be tapped.