Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#522534  by chrsjrcj

Does anyone know why Tri-Rail has been using two engines for a 3 car train? I took Tri-Rail on 3/29/08 (Saturday) and on 4/5/08 (also Saturday). Both times we had 2 engines and 3 cars.

Here is a video that I took on 3/23/08 (Sunday) that shows 2 engines and 3 cars. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ar_9co79M6Q

#522542  by DutchRailnut

Maybe one came out of shop with a problem, they did not know if the fix worked, so a second engine was added till the repaired engine proves itself trouble free.

#522717  by Noel Weaver

I believe on Tri-Rail there is a train or two that normally has two engines
one of which is more or less a roving emergency engine in the event a
train on the line has engine trouble it can be cut off and moved to the
train that is having the trouble.
Somebody on the railroad told me this but I do not remember where or
when.
Noel Weaver

#522979  by Kurt-Trirail

Noel Weaver wrote:I believe on Tri-Rail there is a train or two that normally has two engines
one of which is more or less a roving emergency engine in the event a
train on the line has engine trouble it can be cut off and moved to the
train that is having the trouble.
That is what I've been told as well, but I question whether the crews actually leave one unit dead in tow. It so happened that I was riding on the 5th myself (to the SFRM swap meet), and had the opportunity to ride behind 805 and 808 lashed up on the SB trip (817 + 814 NB).

Sure enough, 805 was screaming in N8, providing HEP, while it was equally apparent that 808 was on-line too - I rode in the first car, and distinctly heard it notch up along with 805's constant wail.

6200 HP for a three-car commuter set? Anyone tell them that there is an oil crisis on hand?

-Kurt
 #576235  by BlockLine_4111

I think its sort of crazy to run such a small train with 2 locomotives. Today P672 and P673 were both doubleheaded and met at Cypress Creek station. With the cost of fuel so darn high what gives?
 #576271  by DutchRailnut

On a train with two locomotives the fuel use remains same. both locomotives after all only produce half the HP needed to move the train.