Railroad Forums 

• Two Bangor & Aroostook BL2s going to a new home

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#750542  by MEC407

I was at the book store yesterday and noticed a blurb in Railfan & Railroad about two Bangor & Aroostook BL2s going to a new home. I don't remember the date of the issue and unfortunately I also don't remember any details about the locomotives or where they're going... but I figured I'd mention it anyway, since I haven't seen it mentioned here already.
 #750639  by Dick H

According to Railfan and Railroad, the units are ex-BAR 52 and 54.

Here's more info I found on the web at the railroad forums group, posted on November 18th.

CHICAGO - A variety of motive power ranging from E8s to SD9043MACs is headed for Iowa Pacific Holdings short lines, President Ed Ellis told TRAINS News Wire today. In addition, the company is lining up several dome cars, some of which will serve on the Denver to Winter Park, Colo., Ski Train, which Iowa Pacific plans to restore to service.

Ellis said his company is selling 10 B39-8 diesels currently serving on Iowa Pacific's Permian Basin Railways. Taking their place will be 10 SD9043MAC locomotives from CIT group, to be split between Arizona Eastern and San Luis & Rio Grande. Additionally, two rare Electro-Motive BL2 diesels are on their way to Arizona Eastern for service on a local where the SD90MACs will be undesirable.

The pair of BL2s will be serviced at Permian Basin's Bixby, Ariz., shops, for 30 to 60 days after their arrival before being pressed into service. The pair passed from Fond du Lac, Wis., to the Chicago area today, and are slated for interchange to Union Pacific at East St. Louis, Ill.

Dick
 #750641  by MEC407

Well there you have it... a railroad that runs SD90MACs and BL2s! Who would've thunk it?! :-D
 #750705  by MEC407

Yup, those are the ones I saw in Railfan & Railroad. I hope they get some new paint! (Although it's kind of cool that one of them is still in BAR paint.)
 #761042  by Otto Vondrak

Dick H wrote:According to Railfan and Railroad, the units are ex-BAR 52 and 54.
Did we say ex-BAR 54 was going out west? As far as I know, 54 is still on the Stourbridge Railroad in Pennsylvania.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/2783425169

-otto-
 #761084  by Dick H

From the Pennsylvania forum:

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:01 pm

BL-2 #54 will be sent to Morristown for replacement of a power assembly and new injectors. From there it will take a spin on NJ Transit's wheel lathe. M&E Alco # 4216 will be forwarded to the Stourbridge following a truck change-out. The #54 is expected to return in the Spring. #4216 will remain in Stourbridge freight service and will eventually be repainted into Stourbridge livery.