Railroad Forums 

• TV: Dukes Of Hazzard Episode Question

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1244421  by Death Star

I was watching the Dukes oF Hazzard episode Danger on The Hazzard Express. In the episode, Boss Hogg tries tro rob a train and the DUkes ty to stop him. The trains shown are a Lionel layout Boss must have built himself and either a real or model train. That is the one the General Lee jumps over and the real/or model train is what I want to know about. It says "Hazzard Southern" on the side with the reporting marks "HS" on the front. The cars are I believe mostly Pennsylvania Railroad boxcars with a yellow livestock car. It appears to be a GP35 but looks too much like a model to be be real. THe horn sounds like an old Leslie Typhon. It looks like a heavily modified Athearn Blue Box GP35 but can't say for sure because the front and rear handrails have chains on them and I know older Athearn BB locomotives do not have chains on them. So who made the locomotive? Is it real? Was it a prop locomotive? Was it a heavily modified HO model? If so, who made it?
 #1244433  by scottychaos

Looks like they must have done more than one train jump!
because the one I found on youtube doesnt look like the one you describe..
there is no "Hazzard Southern" visable, and no one would mistake the locomtive for a GP35..
so im guessing this is not the scene you are referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJreeDbsAo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The locomotive in that one is an Alco S6..clearly a real one.

Scot
 #1244608  by Death Star

scottychaos wrote:Looks like they must have done more than one train jump!
because the one I found on youtube doesnt look like the one you describe..
there is no "Hazzard Southern" visable, and no one would mistake the locomtive for a GP35..
so im guessing this is not the scene you are referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJreeDbsAo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The locomotive in that one is an Alco S6..clearly a real one.

Scot
that is from another episode.
This is the train I was talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4oWj-r4G4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1244672  by Backshophoss

May have been done on the Filmore Western RR,a shortline north of LA near Oxnard Ca,used by a lot of
movie/TV production companies,for most RR involved scences.
The same could be said for the scence with the Alco S-6.
 #1244738  by Death Star

Backshophoss wrote:May have been done on the Filmore Western RR,a shortline north of LA near Oxnard Ca,used by a lot of
movie/TV production companies,for most RR involved scences.
The same could be said for the scence with the Alco S-6.
Was the Filmore and Western in operations in the late 70's-early 80's? I know the Seirra Railroad and the Ventura County Railroad was involved with Hollywood projects for a long time, and I thought the F&W had been a more recent Hollywood railroad (late 90's-early 2000's startup). I could be wrong.
 #1244766  by cjvrr

Deathstar,

I think in the episode in your original question they used models. There was at least one other episode that included a jump of a model train.

However the other jump in the youtube link is most definitely real. But I do not know where it was filmed.

There is a book available on the Dukes tv show and if you are a fan, definitely worth the read. I remember Tom Wopat (Luke) complaining in the book that in the last few seasons many of the stunts were filmed using models of the General Lee and not the real cars. Or they would just re-use film from other jumps. This was done as cost cutting measures by the studio and the cast members didn't like it as well as the story lines that always seemed to be the same as the week before.

CV the civil E....also an attendee at the 2008, 2009, and 2012 Dukes of Hazzard Fests....lol.
 #1244794  by Backshophoss

Noticed the use of stock footage in that 2nd clip,believe Ventura County Ry is possible for clip 1
Believe Filmore & Western was a little used SP branch,the prop master could have had a GP-35 repainted
with easy to remove paint. Sierra RR was used when steam locos were needed,along with a "Wild West"
town set.