Railroad Forums 

• TV&C from Sandusky to Cuba

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#1361218  by thebigham

^Yes, I've noticed those spots.

I recently saw some 1938 aerial photos that show much of the TV&C grade from Fairview to Cuba.

I don't think the TV&C had stone abutments. They were probably made out of wood.
 #1361573  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:I don't think the TV&C had stone abutments. They were probably made out of wood.
Hrm. :-(

Yeah, I think I've mostly got it in OpenStreetMap pretty accurately, as as accurate as can be done. I expect that both abutments of the trestle west of Cuba have been destroyed by later developments, as well as the pier footers.
 #1370407  by thebigham

I went back to Fairview last week.

I found a longer stretch of the TV&C grade that parallels B&S Road.

The grade is very overgrown near where the TV&C crossed Elton Creek.
Attachments:
(317.98 KiB) Downloaded 5424 times
 #1371104  by thebigham

^A pic:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=228100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arcade & Attica RR: Tonawanda Valley & Cuba RR Grade

This mound is the abandoned grade of the narrow gauge Tonawanda Valley & Cuba RR. Abandoned in 1886. Rails torn up in 1893/1894.

I found a long stretch of it south of Crystal Lake near Freedom, NY.

It parallels B&S Road which is the former Buffalo & Susquehanna railroad grade.

and...

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=228101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm standing on the exnarrow gauge Tonawanda Valley & Cuba RR grade south of Crystal Lake near Freedom, NY.

Abandoned in 1886. Rails torn up in 1893/1894.

This culvert is exBuffalo & Susquehanna. B&S Road is the exB&S main to Buffalo. Built in 1905, this culvert is still working 111 years later.
 #1372876  by RussNelson

South of Crystal Lake confuses me. I have the BR&P (so-called on the old USGS topos) going from Farmersville Station through Freedom to Silver Springs. Then I have the B&S (not on the USGS topo) from Arcade to Wellsville, which is visible as a spur north and east of Crystal Lake, B&S Road, and some fills and cuts east of that. How is the TV&C routing related to either of those?
 #1372945  by thebigham

Just south of Crystal Lake, the TV&C is between the B&S and the BR&P,

Where the B&S passed over the BR&P on a bridge which is now Rt. 98, the TV&C grade was just below the B&S grade at Fairview. They parallel each other until TV&C bridges Elton Creek and heads towards "Summit" on the TV&C which is off of Williams Road.

Here's part of the TV&C 1883 timetable that gives mileage below Arcade.
Attachments:
(106.19 KiB) Downloaded 5302 times
 #1379511  by thebigham

I found part of the TV&C south of Cuba Lake near Oil Springs Road:

http://tinyurl.com/hseeft8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was getting dark and snowing so I didn't take pics. I will go back.

The TV&C had a good sized bridge here crossing the Cuba Lake outlet.
 #1379562  by dj_paige

Fascinating stuff. On the aerial image at Oil Springs Road, I can't see anything that looks like a ROW, but I'm sure it's obvious on the ground. Can't wait to see your photo.

Regarding the segment along East Centerville Road, again I don't see anything in the aerial photos right where you marked the letter P (unless you mean the somewhat diagonal feature a little to the east of where you have marked the letter P?)

In any event, congratulations on your finds, and I look forward to more from you!
 #1379579  by thebigham

^That's the spot where I saw the grade.

If you are traveling on Cuba Lake Road, it's easy to see the grade from the road.

I've been trying to get out there and hike but the lousy weather here has not helped.

I have to do more hiking soon before the brush starts blossoming.

I tried to find the grade of the horseshoe curve on E Centerville Road, but didn't see it.
 #1379580  by thebigham

I highly recommend the website:

http://www.historicaerials.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Type in Rushford, NY. Click on 1952 aerials. Traces of the TV&C grade can be found.

This is the TV&C where it crossed the River Line at Cuba.

The TV&C cuts diagonally across the pic from left to right.
Attachments:
a1.png
a1.png (157.58 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
 #1379974  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:Just south of Crystal Lake, the TV&C is between the B&S and the BR&P,

Where the B&S passed over the BR&P on a bridge which is now Rt. 98, the TV&C grade was just below the B&S grade at Fairview. They parallel each other until TV&C bridges Elton Creek and heads towards "Summit" on the TV&C which is off of Williams Road.
Is "Camp Road" through the boy scout camp the B&S? There's not a heck of a lot of room for a third railbed betwen those two south of Crystal Lake! If the TV&C is going to run between the two, there must have been a diamond somewhere, because it starts on the left of the B&S and ends up on the right, and it starts on the right of the BR&P and ends up on the left.

That leaves me lost between Jones Road north of Sandusky and the B&S bridge near Fairview. Any advice? Have you ever tried going to the county clerk's office to see if there's a map of the TV&C registered?
 #1379975  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:I found part of the TV&C south of Cuba Lake near Oil Springs Road:

http://tinyurl.com/hseeft8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was getting dark and snowing so I didn't take pics. I will go back.

The TV&C had a good sized bridge here crossing the Cuba Lake outlet.
Yep, that's how I've got it mapped in OpenRailwayMap.org. I think I see it on the aerials between your location and the back of the large commercial building off SH-446 just north of where it goes under the Southern Tier Expressway.
 #1379977  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:I think I found a short segment of the TV&C grade north of Rushford today along East Centerville Road:

http://tinyurl.com/jn6zvtv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it in the treeline opposite the farm? The ones that runs alongside the grid-planted trees?