Railroad Forums 

• Turntables in modern times

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#582986  by Rockin' Roller

Two come to mind. The NS has one in Ft. Wayne that they use to turn engines, and CN has one at Centralia, Illinois.
 #583015  by GOLDEN-ARM

The use of the "search" feature comes to mind. This has been asked, and answered, several times already. :wink:
 #583079  by Passenger

A quick search on "turntable" yields a whole bunch of stuff about old roundhouses, and one about a turntable being replaced by a wye.

No I didn't slog through all of them.

Got a link?
 #583386  by GOLDEN-ARM

We even did some lists, by State, of where operating turntables were still in use. Try the NY/NJ/PA forums, and look around a bit..... :wink:
 #583850  by atsf sp

You could still find turntables on tourist lines such as North Conway. Also there are inactive turntables at older facilities, such as in Saguenay, Quebec. There are also places you'll just find the pits.
 #585866  by jonnhrr

I believe the Maine Eastern still uses their turntable at Rockland ME to turn the FL9's between runs.

Jon
 #587148  by Kuyahoora Valley

Interestingly, when I Google-Mapped Lambert's Point in Norfolk a few years ago it was fogged out so you couldn't see anything. Now it's clear and there's a turntable there along with a 3 or 4 stall roundhouse. Very cool. Also, now the whole Naval Base is visible, even the ships. Just pan up from Lambert Point.
 #672393  by dirtydave

tti rail to river in paris ky still has one, not sure how often it is used but the shop forman said they still maintain it.
 #672816  by David Benton

In New Zealand , (wellington in particular ) , diesel locos are still turned on a turntable so that the cab is facing forward . as many trains here are a single locomotive . passenger observation cars are also turned .
 #672865  by scottychaos

Canadian Pacific built a new turntable in their East Binghamton, NY yard about 10-15 years ago:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 157&nseq=0

an abandoned DL&W steam-era roundhouse and turntable stands derelict a few hundred feet away..
probably too expensive to refurbish, and its not quite where they need it..so they just built a new, basic, turntable instead.

Scot
 #673008  by Jtgshu

A turntable would be a WELCOME addition to NJTs MMC - the main shop location for the railroad. Because of Sunnyside Loop, the trains and individual cars and locos get all different ways. When a car or loco is "backwards" as we call it, it has to be wyed at West End wye on the Morris and Essex Lines. And while its only about 2 miles away, it can take over an hour trying to get inbetween scheduled passenger trains. A turntable right in the yard would make it LIGHT years easier. It has been suggested by various folks from train crews to yardmasters, but dismissed each time. Maybe one day.....