Railroad Forums 

• Turning Back Time

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#126832  by RS112556

Couldn't believe my eyes this morning. Happened to catch a long freight west bound through East Rochester headed by all four axle power. Included were what appeared to be two GP30's and I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things. They were real enough but since CSX doesn't roster the type anymore I can only assume they are slugs or train control units of some kind. Still pretty neat to see in these days of mega-horsepower six axle locomotives.

#126947  by crazy_nip

CSX has about 80 slugs in the 2200 series whose were rebuilt from GP30's...
they also have some ex-GP35's in the 2200 and 2300 series, and a few GP38/40's in the high 2300 series too

#127112  by CSX Conductor

There was a report of a pair of mother & slug sets on the local Yahoo Group "CSXT Sightings". The power arrived in West Springfield on either Wednesday or Thursday. :wink:

This unit was in Selkirk, NY a few months ago working the East-End puller jobs along with SD40-2 #8867.
Last edited by CSX Conductor on Tue May 17, 2005 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #127659  by RS112556

Thanks for the info. The units mentioned were the same ones I saw passing through East Rochester and, while the slugs are no longer real locomotives per se, it's cool to see that unmistakeable GP30 profile on the rails.