Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Repair

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1537746  by Engineer Spike

No, I didn't go to the wrong forum! I was wondering in light of the recent Hoosac Tunnel collapse, how much repair was done previously? I know that part collapsed during the 1970s, and steel culvert material was placed inside the brick liner. Was this just a stop-gap repair on the worst area/ Did the Dustin Administration intend to do more, but the program was terminated by Guilford/
 #1537779  by edbear

The liner plate installation of the early 1960s was done before I worked in the property records section of the B & M Accounting Department (1968-1986). My guess is it probably was as much as could be done with the money available. The 1973 collapse was about a year before Alan Dustin assumed the president's office at the B & M. It happened under the Barriger administration and there was talk at that time of abandoning from Greenfield West. Again, it was probably a matter of fixing the trouble spot with what cash was available.