Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel clearances

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#464478  by lvrr325

So I see in Railpace that NS has been running a stack train on an alternate route to avoid congestion on the ex-PRR - via ex-NKP to Buffalo, ex-Erie to Binghamton, D&H/ex-DL&W to Wilkes-Barre (Dupont), ex-LV/CNJ to Allentown. If I'm reading this right, the train goes through Rockport Tunnel on that routing. Pics show it loaded with double-stacked containers.

So this gets me to thinking, what's the clearance on that tunnel? I have to assume it's single track with the track centered now?

Also, the clearance at Mehoopany? It seems to me Mehoopany's not tall enough for stacks even with a single track centered in the bore, but it's been a while since I remember discussing it.

I know Conrail did some work to Pattenburg to increase clearances not long before the split, too. Prior to that I don't believe that could clear a loaded stack car - seems like it had a concrete floor, so it was a bit of work to lower it.
 #464504  by JhnZ33

lvrr325 wrote:So I see in Railpace that NS has been running a stack train on an alternate route to avoid congestion on the ex-PRR - via ex-NKP to Buffalo, ex-Erie to Binghamton, D&H/ex-DL&W to Wilkes-Barre (Dupont), ex-LV/CNJ to Allentown.

Also, the clearance at Mehoopany? It seems to me Mehoopany's not tall enough for stacks even with a single track centered in the bore, but it's been a while since I remember discussing it.
I'm a little confused here. If they ARE using the route you posted, they are not near Mehoopany (Vosburg tunnel).

John

#465212  by lvrr325

I didn't say the trains did go that way. That's why I used another paragraph to ask the question about Mehoopany, since it made sense to ask the question in the same topic, and not start another one for it.

The November Railpace, or whichever one has the Lehigh Gorge article, shows one of the NS trains with stacks on the LV east of Rockport Tunnel.

#465239  by JhnZ33

lvrr325 wrote:I didn't say the trains did go that way. That's why I used another paragraph to ask the question about Mehoopany, since it made sense to ask the question in the same topic, and not start another one for it.

The November Railpace, or whichever one has the Lehigh Gorge article, shows one of the NS trains with stacks on the LV east of Rockport Tunnel.
Sorry, misunderstood. :(
 #468926  by Lehighrrgreg

You are correct in your current assesment of the routing. The upper end of the Lehigh isnt used for through freights. The Vosburg tunnel cant handle anything higher than plate F (I believe) cars. Although when East Binghamton was flooded a few years ago, NS ran a few large run through trains down there as a backup route. It would be nice if NS would start running trains to Allentown via Sayre and Mehoopany because it would clear up congestion on the CP/D&H and avoid several miles of running time, the heavy grade at Clarks Summit and not to mention, allow NS to run trains at their own pace given the D&H is particular about when NS trains can run.
Rockport tunnel is single tracked and the ceiling has been modified to accomodate taller cars.

#469264  by lvrr325

The hot rumor when NS was set to buy out Conrail in 1994 or 1995 was they'd put down welded rail and run stuff from Buffalo to Allentown and NY that way. Supposedly had welded rail trains staged and everything. But of course that never happened.

I think NS doesn't use it because it's cheaper to use the old D&H -