Railroad Forums 

• TSS/ Main Frame Emulater access

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#352176  by Xponder

Anyone have any word on the functionality of certain cell phones with web access to use for accessing the BNSF Mainframe Emulater?

I have tried Palm and a MS Windows Mobile PDA both to no avail. Can't find an appropriate JAVA script capable browser nor the JAVA VM that works for either the Palm or a PDA. Tried the Opal browser that is supposed to support JAVA on Windows Mobile but it didn't work for the emulator.

The folks at the Ft Worth automation help desk aren't any help at all! All they will say is that "some phones" will work and others don't, can't tell me which ones.

Thanks.

#352280  by git a holt to it

That new Blackjack might work but I don't see any reason to have TSS on a phone when the VRU has all the info that you need.

#352310  by Xponder

The Blackjack uses the Windows Mobile operating system for which I had not found the JAVA VM needed to support the emulator window.

I don't care too much for the VRU and its endless listing/menus. I would rather have the convience of viewing the details like I do whenever I am at home in front of my computer or at the terminal.

Right now, TSS doesn't support the latest flavor of the MS Browser and probably is going to have trouble with the new MS operating system Vista. Plus, the support folks sent me an email last year, whenever I had asked the question about the phone/PDA, that SUN Micro Systems doesn't support the JAVA VM which enables the emulator window. So, I would hope that BNSF gets busy and switches to a HTML version/access and gets away from the clunky KVDT main frame emulator.
 #1146679  by mtbr.mike

Xponder wrote:Anyone have any word on the functionality of certain cell phones with web access to use for accessing the BNSF Mainframe Emulater?

I have tried Palm and a MS Windows Mobile PDA both to no avail. Can't find an appropriate JAVA script capable browser nor the JAVA VM that works for either the Palm or a PDA. Tried the Opal browser that is supposed to support JAVA on Windows Mobile but it didn't work for the emulator.

The folks at the Ft Worth automation help desk aren't any help at all! All they will say is that "some phones" will work and others don't, can't tell me which ones.

Thanks.
The new Emulator APP for Android is super smooth for logging in to check the boards on my phone.

First It needs to be configured with the BNSF URL associated with the Emulator
once placed in the app it is saved and never needs to be entered again.

This app didn't redesign the Emulator (it can't) all it did was make the experience that much easier, for example.
1. You don't have to capitalize anything (it does it for you).
2. It has underlines on/off so you know where to type.
3. F-keys on the screen are a thing of the past, this app has a tool bar with the F-keys in it.
4. The enter button on the phone keyboard works and doesn't send you to a "terminal error"
5. I can log in and check a board in less than 30 seconds at the moment with this app, try that through a phone browser.
6. Very soon it will auto save your log in/password AND IT WILL WORK.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have spoke to the developer and he wants to make it perfect.