Railroad Forums 

• Troubles on the Lake State RR

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#330475  by MEC407

pablo wrote:Take a pill.
Hey now... let's not be encouraging young people to do drugs. :P

#330526  by gprimr1

Sounds like they are in a rail maintenance contest with CSX and they are clearly winning.

#330880  by GOLDEN-ARM

I too was wondering, how young Jimmy was missing the Rock, which went under, about 8 years before he was born. And YES, James, you certainly did call for the shut down, of that line. Signals? Why do you need signals? IF they were required, they would be there. You gotta sound more like a railfan, or buff, than the foamer (or troll), you are becoming. Lots of info, but all of it nonsense, or worse. What's the D&M, and what made them so special? If the railroad you are looking at, had no signals, junk track, and all the other bad stuff you see now, why are you"pining" for them? Then, after missing them, you wish the person who runs it now, to lose the service on that line, I can only guess your true identity, is "long-haul truck driver James", who wishes the railroads to lose all the business to him, and his "big-rig". Take a breather man, and find a nice girl......................... :-D

#330934  by Engineer James

Ok, I'll try Golden. Thanks. If a girl would get over my OBSESSION of trains.

The D&M Is the Detroit and Mackinaw. I really like their equipment. They still have 1 RS on the route, in Daily service. Also a C425m.

#975 a RS3m

#646 the oldest S1 still operational in Michigan.

C425m #281 still in D&M Paint.

But all the reast of their locomotives are ex-CN or CP.
And I thought it was regulation by the FRA that you had to have some type of signal system.

DO NOT WANT THE LAKE STATE TO CLOSE!!!! :-D Its a Historic line.

#330974  by CSXT 700

James not trying to sound mean, but please check this web site out. We cover the LSRC in depth. http://www.railroadfan.com

Also there are 4 C425MAC's and IIRC 2 RS3m's (one is in the shop right now) and one RS2.

From sources inside the company (there are still people that work there that I used to work with) Three derailments were track related (one on another railroad) and the other one, train handeling.

#331090  by Engineer James

Ok, Well, if I could ever find the information on a RELIABLE search engine it would help too. The info for diesels I got off of http://www.railroadmichigan.com

#331509  by SteelWheels21

I don't recall EVER seeing signals on the original D&M (Lake Huron side). Maybe on the ex NYC trackage running through the center of the state that they acquired, but I don't know about that either.

#331608  by GOLDEN-ARM

WWW.DOGPILE.COM is plenty reliable. Like anything else, you will only get out of it, what you put into it. Don't be afraid to enter a string of words, or even a complete sentence. Instead of entering LSRC, try "words", like LSRC diesel roster, or LSRC locomotives in use today, or whatever. The more you enter, the more you get. And then, you gotta look at every link that shows up, as some of them have links inside them. The info is there, there's no need to make uneducated guesses, or "fabricate" statements about what you are curious about. You can also LEARN about railroad regs, and requirements, by perusing the Government websights, like the RRB, the FRA and the STB sights. An 'engineer" who sits back, waiting for the conductor to do everything for him, is hardly the engineer, at all.......................... Just a thought. :wink:

#331619  by CSXT 700

Nope he is not, but he probilly makes a lot more money that way. LOL :-D

#331766  by GOLDEN-ARM

CSXT 700 wrote:Nope he is not, but he probilly makes a lot more money that way. LOL :-D

I like your style, CSXT........................... :P

#332250  by Engineer James

Ok, I'll try dogpile next time. Google don't help worth crap.

#332287  by pablo

I've actually been meaning to put this on the forum where I moderate, but haven't had the time to.

Google works just fine...if you know how to use it. The students I teach use it all the time, and are amazed and frustrated when they can't find a thing.

Golden-Arm is correct in that it's the WAY you search that matters. If you try to use a sentence ("why the Lehigh Valley bought C-628's" or "why does the Lake State derail so much") Google will attempt to find every single word in that string. Instead, use quotes marks and the plus sign to get better results.

For instance, "Lake State" + "railroad" + "derail" might get more. If you have just a single word, you don't need quotes, but for phrases (Lake State) you must if you want Google to find you anything called "Lake State". Add or subtract terms to your liking to narrow things down.

You still might not find anything, and that could be because there is nothing.

This works, by the way, with Dogpile, too, but some of the search engines Dogpile indexes use different algorithms (spelled right?), like ask.com, and therfore, some sites might not get anything.

I use this exact set of rules to find plagiarism in my classes and I can always find where they get it from. All bets are off if it's a paid site, though...and I do the same thing on the paid sites my school has access to.

Dave Becker

#332379  by Engineer James

Ok, Dave. Have I not mentioned I am runnin a forum too?

#332417  by pablo

I don't believe you did...nor do I know where it is. I don't really "run" it...I moderate it.

I know you are a student. How old are you? Where do you go to school? Are you an adult? These questions answered might make me/us understand more where you're coming from.

Dave Becker

#332854  by Engineer James

Well, I'm 17. be 18 On Valentines day 07'. John Glenn High Westland. No adult. got 2 months.

Here are some pics.

These are from another forum:

http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewto ... 3279#13279

The Bottom one is the most true picture. See how warped the tracks are?