Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#418388  by George L.

Due to delays on my end, my husband and I boarded the Ocean just minutes before the scheduled 18h35 departure time. Although we were the last sleeper class passengers to arrive, the staff did not seem put out by the sight of us bustling down the platform. In fact, they were friendly, warm and welcoming from the beginning...

NOTE 1: The staff are as friendly as the brochures promise. Their enthusiasm was a pleasure!

Our train had a full complement of Renaissance cars – only the Park car was a stainless steel HEP. Some people had warned me about the Renaissance cars – that they wouldn’t be as comfortable – but my husband and I were pleased with our accommodations. Our two packsacks fit snugly under the sofa in our double deluxe bedroom (Car 38) and once we had changed our shoes, we rushed up to the Evangeline Park car (named after the Acadian heroine) to enjoy the scenery from the glassed-in observation dome.

The Learning Coordinators were already in the dome and they greeted us with sparkling wine to toast our trip. Lyne was the seasoned pro and Jessica was the trainee. It was nice to see the interaction between them. As a cynical traveller, I was wary about the whole idea of a Learning Coordinator – worried that they might be too intrusive – but they were such a pleasure to chat with that I actually started looking forward to some of their presentations later!

NOTE 2: As the Learning Coordinators tended to stay in the dome car, you could choose to be present or not. We found the lobster trap demonstration to be highly entertaining, but when we wanted a little quiet time, we descended to the lounge for a cup of tea and some quiet.

It was Lyne who told us that we were on the inaugural voyage from Montreal to Halifax. Easterly class service started on the 13th with a departure from Halifax. We were travelling on the 14th from Montreal. My husband was a little wary that the service may not be tweaked yet, but I cannot say that his doubts were founded.

We stayed in the dome until dinnertime. I have to say that I am a rather clumsy person and it took me a few hours to learn how to walk down a sleeper car hallway without bumping into door handles. The key, I quickly learned is to walk...quickly...rather than more slowly. Same principle as carrying an egg on a spoon I guess, lol!

We had the later dinner sitting and were able to enjoy the last of the daylight as we savoured the tasty seafood chowder that opened the meal. I had a succulent pork tenderloin with an apple-blueberry compote and fresh vegetables. My husband had a sweet chicken breast in partridge-berry sauce served with delicious cheesy mashed red potatoes.

I was going to turn down the dessert, but the waiter coaxed me into having what was easily the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten. It was made from layers of creamy chocolate pudding, crispy chocolate pudding and a dusting of cocoa powder on top.

NOTE no.3: As the food in Easterly class is prepared beforehand, I knew that my meal was going to be reheated, but they have this high-powered convection oven that produced a thoroughly hot meal - with crisp vegetables to boot!

After another tea, we retired to the dome car once again to read our books and talk a little about everything we wanted to do in Halifax. It was a very relaxing and contemplative experience – I don’t think I have experienced such peacefulness in a long time.

We finally retired at about 10pm. Being seasoned travellers accustomed to sleeping in other beds, we had no trouble climbing into our double bunks and coaxing ourselves to sleep. The only disturbance we had to deal with was the clattering of metal clothes hangers in the closet! Once we hung a jacket to pad them, problem was solved!

Old habits die hard – my husband and I woke early. We’re the only people who beg for jet lag because it would mean sleeping later than usual! Before breakfast we sneaked up the Panorama car again to chat with the Learning Coordinator girls and get our first glimpse of New Brunswick. The lovely British couple from yesterday was there, as was the quiet German couple. All in all, the passengers were mostly 50+ and/or European. Isn’t it amazing that Europeans are so fascinated by Canada, while Canadians are scrambling to get far away from here on vacation?

We choose the continental breakfast (yogurt, muesli, fresh fruit) because my husband and I don’t like to overdo the eating when all we’re doing is sitting around and relaxing. We spent the rest of the morning alternating between the dome car, the movie lounge (next to the dining car) and chilling out in our room. Lunch came quickly and we both choose an exquisitely fresh chicken caesar salad with savoury parmesan chips and big croutons. Dessert was a three-tiered chocolate mousse that absolutely melted in your mouth. I didn’t try arguing with the waiter this time – I just took the dessert. After all, as he so kindly reminded me, I’m on vacation so “calories don’t count”!

NOTE 4: My mother had been really sceptical about spending 22 hours on the train, but I have to say that between the relaxing and the eating and the tea drinking, the voyage passed remarkably fast.

The train arrived in Halifax only 15 minutes later than scheduled and we were positively blissed out when it came time to disembark. Between the delicious food, the relaxing downtime, and the gorgeous scenery, my husband and I were almost limp with pleasure.

Thank you Easterly class crew!

#419271  by marquisofmississauga

Thank you for posting the detailed trip report. I made a round-trip to Halifax just a few days after this trip. My observations would be similar. One dinner we had which was excellent was the seafood on skewers. This was up to Silver & Blue standards on the Canadian. I was chatting with a couple in the Park car and they didn't want to believe me that the food is reheated as opposed to being cooked on board.

Much has been written previously about the pros and cons of Renasisance equipment - and I have listed a number of little things I don't like about the cars - but it is refreshing to read a positive trip report. There are many railfans who will not say a single good word about Renaissance; indeed there are even some railfans who have actually ridden the equipment who don't like it. But the reaction of non-railfan passengers (who make up the majority of passengers, of course) is generally positive. I acknowledge that people travelling overnight in coach probably aren't very comfortable, but the availability of single seats is appreciated by many.

One temporary glitch: at check-in at Halifax the Service Manager informed us that the manifest showed that instead of our carefully selected rooms 5 & 6 (in the centre of the car) we were re-assigned rooms 1 & 2 in a different car than the one in which we had booked. There was no explanation for this, but less than five minutes after departure the SM appeared at my door and offered a choice of available rooms, so we chose 3 & 4 in another car and were quite pleased.

#420678  by George L.

We were in Room 7 (facing backwards) on the trip out, and Room 5 (facing forward) on the trip back. So there were two things in play: placement more directly over the wheels and direction of travel.

I've heard a lot of back and forth over this. Personally, I found the trip back to be a little more *quiet* (since we were farther away from the wheels) but if you ask my husband, he'll swear that he didn't notice a difference.... lol!
 #420885  by jp1822

The Renaissance equipment on the Ocean has grown positively on me over the years. I think VIA has tried to do their best with these cars - specifically in decorating with Maritime scene pictures in the diner, sleepers and other cars. They've come a long way since their introduction - even from when they ran the Enterprise train on the overnight Toronto-Montreal route (which I miss!).

However, I still couldn't imagine travelling on this route without the Park Car. It certainly made all the difference! I couldn't imagine being couped up in the bedrooms of the Renaissance cars (deluxe or standard rooms) during the "off season" for the journey all the way between Montreal and Halifax. The Renaissance service cars (with their lounge) are still more to be desired. Not enough "lounge seating space." VIA may want to consider a pure Renaissance "lounge car" in the off season if customer demand warrants such.

I am glad to see that VIA is doing surveys on the Ocean. Customer feedback is so crucial! Something Amtrak could learn from. The VIA survey for the Ocean is quite involved - and that's good for market research.

As for the meals - I also think they are great. I had the Pork for dinner on my last trip aboard the Ocean and it was great! It was amazing that this was a "re-heated dish." Glad they also brought back the fish chowder! This was a real specialty when the Budd Stainless Steel equipment ran on the route. Still not as good (the fish chowder), but it fits the bill for those who never had it before. Again, the preparation of the meals is something Amtrak could learn from in the era of their "diner lite" or "simplified dining" phenomenon.