Railroad Forums 

• Trio of C30-7s chugging and smoking (video)

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#453710  by St-Jean Diamond

Hello all,

Seeing how many people like to hear and see "old" warriors like the Dash 7 on video, I decided to post one on rail-videos.net for all to see, especially the MMA and GE fans. I've received many positive comments about it... enjoy!
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=143

Bicot

#453961  by Allen Hazen

Thank you, very much! Where I live, most of the trains I see are suburban multi-unit electrics, and most of the freights I see have EMD power: it was REALLY nice to see those "classic" GE units!
---
Comment/question on smoke: Smoke wasn't continuous: the units would intermittently have a few seconds of heavy smoke, with less visible smoke in between, and all three units in the consist were "synchronized": they had their smoke-episodes at about the same time. I ***THINK*** I understand what's happening (but if I'm wrong I'll learn something when somebody tells me!): the smoke episodes occur when the engineer notches up (at the beginning of the video, the train with the C30-7 is passing another train: is it accelerating out of a siding?), and is caused by "turbo-lag"-- that is, when the engineer advances the throttle, more fuel is admitted to the engine cylinders, allowing more power, but it takes a few seconds for added power (and accompanying more powerful exhaust) to develope, and in the interim the turbo isn't delivering enough air to allow complete combustion of the additional fuel.

#454365  by St-Jean Diamond

You hit the nail right on the head Allen... Alcos smoked for the same reason, turbo lag... :P

Shall we call these Dash 7s Neo-Alcos? :-D

#454451  by MEC407

Alcos are nice, but GEs are the bees knees. :wink: The FDL has more "bark," whereas the 251/244/539 have more of a "putt." Personally I prefer a bark over a putt any day of the week. :wink:

#478534  by GN 599

Nice video. And a consecutively numbered set of Dash 7's too!