Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#68315  by Rick

I visited Pompano Beach last week and rode Tri-Rail up to West Palm and back. The northbound trip was slow because of track work. The ride back to Pompano Beach was very fast. We were faster than any vehicle on the parallel I95 at many stretches. Does anyone know, what is the top speed for Tri-Rail in that area?

#68347  by 262

The MAS for passenger trains on the CSX Miami Subdivision-Tri-County Rail Corridore is 79mph.MAS for freight trains is 59mph.Yes there are numorus speed restrictions as the entire Trirail system is being double tracked,and a high bridge is being built across the New River.The trains will have to climb 40 + feet .The same elevation as the I95 bridge just east of the main.The old draw span will be left in place for freight trains.At present a double track shoo-fly has been built on the south bank and,old North End of Daina track has been removed.Track Mobile,2 Alingment Tampers,Ballast hoppers and a Ballast Regulator are parked at the Little Yard at Daina,Old Airport Bus Transfer team track.

#68349  by Rick

Also took Tri-Rail to Miami Metrorail last week. Saw a lot of what you are talking about. Transferred to MetroMover, now that's a cool way to get around! Must be a heck of a computer to operate that system. I was on one of three MM cars seemingly headed for the same 3-way junction, and they all split off in different directions, and with out an operator. Nice operation that MM.

#71938  by Mr Met

whats metro mover
 #72043  by Noel Weaver

This questions requires a rather involved answer for the benefit of those
on here who may not be familiar with this area.
Tri-Rail runs over state owned former Seaboard Air Line tracks which
generally speaking run somewhat west of the original downtown areas of
the various cities that it passes through and connects.
At the south end of this line, there is a connection at Metro Rail transfer
station with the Metro Rail system which connects Hialeah with the central
part of Miami and then continues south to the Dadeland Mall in a part of
Kendall.
The above Metro-Rail line does not really pass through the middle of the
city of Miami which is even further east but rather stops in the downtown
area at the court house area and sight of the old Florida East Coast
passenger station at a station named "Government Center", just like
Boston, heh. There is also a near-by station just to the south named
Brickell.
At both Government Center and Brickell stations another system called
Metro Mover connects with Metro Rail and provides automated single cars
(crewless) operation with a fixed guideway and rubber tires over a system
of maybe three miles long with stations very close together and covering
the entire downtown area including Bayfront, American Airlines Arena and
just about everything else too. These automated cars run over two lines
one to Financial Center the other to School Board station. Each line covers an inner loop as well.
There is no cost to ride this great system, all stations are elevated and have escalators as well as stairs and go up and down grades, cross a very
high bridge over the Miami River and go right through some buildings.
I strongly recommend to anyone in the area to RIDE IT.
Noel Weaver

#72302  by Mr Met

ok it is like the air train up here in ny

#489921  by BlockLine_4111

On Monday I paced a southbounder with one loco and 3 bi-levels in pull mode near Bonyton Beach while I was on I-95 and it was going well in excess of 70 MPH. :wink:

#489980  by Noel Weaver

BlockLine_4111 wrote:On Monday I paced a southbounder with one loco and 3 bi-levels in pull mode near Bonyton Beach while I was on I-95 and it was going well in excess of 70 MPH. :wink:
79 MPH is in excess of 70 MPH and you should not be going any faster
than that on I-95.
Noel Weaver

#491289  by brickbuilder711

Noel Weaver wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote:On Monday I paced a southbounder with one loco and 3 bi-levels in pull mode near Bonyton Beach while I was on I-95 and it was going well in excess of 70 MPH. :wink:
than that on I-95.
Noel Weaver
The Speed Limit is typically 65. :wink:

#491872  by BlockLine_4111

brickbuilder711 wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:
than that on I-95.
Noel Weaver
The Speed Limit is typically 65. :wink:
Yes but the flow of traffic (HOV and middle lane) was going in excess of 70 MPH and at times as high as 80 MPH during non-rush hour time of day. Yes I should not have been driving so fast but the other cars were really cookin'. :-)
 #616842  by hoborich

What's the purpose of speed limits like 79 mph, or 59 mph, instead of 60 or 80? :wink:
 #616908  by Noel Weaver

hoborich wrote:What's the purpose of speed limits like 79 mph, or 59 mph, instead of 60 or 80? :wink:
Where there is no automatic train control or automatic train stop system in use, federal regulations limit top speed for
passenger trains to 79 MPH. At one time intermodal trains were allowed 70 MPH on this line but nowdays all freight on
this line is limited to 60 MPH.
Noel Weaver