Railroad Forums 

• Trespassers?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1141089  by jr145

Lowell has a lot of trespassers, and by trespassers I mean crazy people living under the parking garage.

#1141822  by mulfreak

Growing up along the area of the 6 Arch Bridge in Lowell in the 60's and 70's I never seen any "Hobo Camps. This was our playground and we knew Lovejoy the railroad cop and he was alright. About 6 or seven years ago on a June day three of us went fishing at our old spot along the Concord by the bridge. First we filled up 2 large trash bags with crap that people had left along the banks. That pissed us off. People are such slobs. After lunch we took a walk behind what is now Concord Estates (the old Shaunessy Terrace) and came across one of these Homeless camps. There was obvious signs of heroin use and other crap so we cleaned it up for them. A tent, few sleeping bags and other stuff went into trash bags and was thrown in a dumpster. All the logs that were around the firepit were removed and we even took a shovel to the firepit and cleaned that up. Just like when we were kids wrecking forts it was fun.
 #1142065  by Rbts Stn

Thank goodness it's their homes and not yours that got destroyed, amirite?
 #1142071  by MEC407

Moderator note:

I'm sure we all have opinions on the issue of homelessness and the various challenges associated with the homeless population, but that discussion is way beyond the scope of this forum. Let's keep it strictly railroad-related, please. Thank you.
 #1142840  by NosenDove

If you see someone riding a car please notify the PanAM railroad police - it is just dangerous in these days to hitch a ride.

So far as walking across rails - I used to work at MC in Mechanicville. We parked our cars on the other side of the D&H yard and cross the tracks to the office - and the ambient noise was such that a trio of D&H engines drifting through the yard could NOT be heard. Not recommended.

Jonathan