Railroad Forums 

• Traveling to Germany

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#416245  by Rich T

Would someone be able to provide the current status and schedules for the narrow gauge steam lines in the Dresden area? Apparently some operate fairly extensive services while others may not be in service at this time. My plan is to be there the latter half of August and early September.
Any information will be appreciated.

#416806  by Leo Sullivan

Radeburg is almost part of Dresden but, the Cranzahl line is quite a distance.
I'm not sure you could do it in a day without a car. Rail service connections are slow and infrequent for part of the distance and not oriented to easy trips from Dresden. There is another Narrow gauge at Zittau, connected to Dresden by direct trains every couple of hours, taking less than two hours.
That line splits at Bertsdorf and, the used to have multiple train action there.
Google "Zittauer Schmalspurbahn" pick the first listing and, click on the (oddly) New Zealand? flag. that gives you a full site in english with all the special events, schedule etc. If you search Oberelbische Dampfschiffe,
you will find the river steamers with schedule (Fahrplan) which says which
trips are by paddlesteamer (almost all).
LS

#425611  by Rich T

Gentlemen
On July 13 my wife and I, along with other family members, were driving our minivan in Pennsylvania when we were hit head on by a wildly swerving car. Our injuries, fortunately not life threatening, are such that my trip to Germany has had to be postponed until at least next Spring. My departure had been scheduled for the second week in August.
Thank you all for your assistance in planning this trip.
Rich